More Michigan Whitetaile tales

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunhaus

Bearcat
It always seems like all the really cool guns go out the doors with the customers, and I never seem to find the time, or money to put one together for myself. I finally decided that I just had to do something about it! I had just finished putting together one of the Lipsey 44 specials for a guy, and it had come out so nice that i said "This is the one" I rounded up another 4/-5/8" Blued version, and went to tweeking it just a bit - Corrected chamber throats, forceing cone, Belt Mountain base pin, free spin pawl Bisley Hammer, Vaquero trigger, some nifty burl maple grips, a bit of timing, a bit of tuning, and here we go:
44001.jpg

As long as I'm doing my part it'll put 5 of the 429421@ 1000fps or so into 2" give or take at 50 yards. I decided this was going to be my opening day gun - Hunting with the ghosts of Elmer and Skeeter so to speak.

A couple of bucks went through right at daybeak, but a bit out of range. Then about 8:30 this middling sized spike walked right down the run beneith the ridge in which I was perched. At 50 yards he hauled up, and i let the front sight settle on his ribs. At the shot he ran about 15 yards and lay down, obviously pretty sick. He was still looking aroud though, so I gave him a "coop-da-gracie" in the neck just to settle things. It wasn't really neccesary, but better safe than sorry. The little 44 was initiated:

44007.jpg

After field dressing and pics, I climbed back up the hill to my stand, and poured a cup of coffee. I don't know how many of you are aware of this: Coffee is the greatest game attractor known to man. Especially if you have no convenient place to set the cup down. I had barely taken a sip when three fat does came down the same run. I was there, and i had a doe tag, so it seemed like a pretty easy decision. At 72 yards she stopped, and I planted a 250 right behind the shoulder. She went 10 yards and piled up. Game over.
I cleaned up the coffee from my lap - You just can't balance a cup on you leg, follow a deer, and shoot, without something going hinky! And then i went to dress her out. I wish I could post her pic too, but the batteries ran dry on deer number one.

As expected, you could "eat right up to the hole" on both critters. Since this is probably the only day I'll be able to get out of the shop to hunt, it was pretty satisfying all in all. I still want to replace the front sight with a pinned in blade, and I haven't installed the Bowen sights that have been sitting on the bench for awhile now. But I couldn't be happier with this bit of firearms self indulgence. Got to go - - Back straps for lunch ya know.
-John

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Nice story and picture!

Another well known "deer bait" that works wonders is a nap. Take one and you'll wake to see a nice deer wandering out of range OR his tracks right by your stand! ha ha

contender

Ruger Guru
An excellent way to go into deer hunting. It makes me smile when I hear the stories of handgun hunting. Here in NC, they used to give out the annual report on big game harvests, And break it down as to type of weapon used. THey stopped showing the handgun only harvests. (For years I was almost the only one in my county.) Way to go!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Any critter taken with a handgun is a trophy, especially an iron sight revolver ! Congratulations and welcome to the club !

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Beautiful Ruger,nice deer,great shot. Thanks for sharing the adventure with us!

gunhaus

Bearcat
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the welcome Jeff, but this is actually my 30th year of hunting with iron sighted revolvers on a regular basis! Seems like yesterday I lined up on a buck for the first time with a Blackhawk 41 mag and took my first shot at a deer with a revolver. Been hooked ever since. This is however, my first flattop, and my first 44 Special, so there were indeed a lot of firsts for me.

wk4036

Bearcat
I didn't think there were any deer left in Lake City,used to hunt east of Fife Lake and the deer are pretty much gone.

wk4036

Bearcat
I remember for many years there were no doe permits up that way and now the DNR gives out tags like candy at the 4th of july parade but it looks like that has already taken it toll on the deer population.
So where in Lake City do you do this kind of work?