Mississippi Pot Roast?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There are a couple cooks on YouTube I try and watch regularly. One of them is some guy who has been a professional chef in his former life. He can certainly talk like it anyway.

But he made something called Mississippi Pot Roast. Anyone ever hear of it?

The three main seasonings besides the meat are dry Ranch Dressing mix and dry Au Jus mix and some portion of a jar of pepperoncini peppers.

Sounds easy enough yes? It turns out this is a pretty popular recipe with a few different variations.

I actually went out and bought a crock pot yesterday just to try this recipe out. It's been in the slow cooker for 20 minutes. And I gotta say it does actually smell pretty good.

I added carrots and onions just because the French in me couldn't stand it otherwise. 😕

But is this really a dish in Mississippi?

If its not fried, then likely its not Mississippi.

Bob Wright
I agree with you on that.

But after cooking in the crock pot for 5 1/2 hours, it was delicious! Definitely a home run.

A little on the salty side, and I could taste a very slight aftertaste of the peppers, but very very good overall.

If I do this again, I'll tweak the recipe to make it better.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Wife makes a killer pot roast with bay leaves, salt, pepper, beef stock, shrooms, garlic, baby potatoes and of course the holy trinity. Simmered for hours and the aroma in the house while cooking is heavenly. Now I want some, I'll request this weekend. Great on cold winter days.

Last edited:
You can throw an old shoe and a tomato in a crock pot and make a good meal. Almost anything cooked slowly like that is good. My wife does beef with onions and mushrooms and garlic and other things in a crock pot. She uses a fresh spice bag and removes it after the flavor is imparted into the meat. We eat the concoction over mashed potatoes and it's delicious.

I make one version like what you describe but add a stick of butter cut into chunks and another that uses a packet of Italian seasoning rather than ranch seasoning. Butter some hoagie rolls and pop them under the broiler to brown the crust then add the meat and pepper jack or provolone and eat away. Sometimes I'll grill up Walla Walla sweet onion for people to top them with and I leave the pepperochinis in to cook all day along with the jar of juice and some lime to add those to their plate. & hours on low and you have a great supper.

I lived in MS for 33 years total and never heard of it.
I never lived in the great state of MS but my Scoutmaster was a native & proud of it. Just about 70 years ago he introduced to his recipe for MS Pot Roast with same ingredients as above but the crock pot in those days was a cast iron Dutch Oven. He had prepared a hardwood fire from which he removed the coals. Those made a 3 or 4 inch bed in an 18-inch in the ground. The covered Dutch Oven was placed on the bed of coals and covered with more coals. Then the hole was refilled with a couple vent holes. After that the Scouts departed on a hike or some other program. Upon their return hours later a delicious hot dinner was available to the boys.

Last edited:
It's pretty disrespectful for you guys to mention racoon, possum, armadillo like you know what you're talking about. Everyone knows for a pot roast you use rock chuck or wood chuck. That's why the recipe calls for chuck roast.
My dad worked with some crazy Cajun pipeliners at times. They had a crock pot in their motel room and and would swerve the welding truck to hit something for dinner. One time they hit a woodchuck in front of a State Trooper. Let's just say that it was an interesting conversation and the Trooper got an invite for dinner. The Trooper graciously refused the offer and I heard the story from both sides because I knew the people involved.