Mini 14 ranch feed ramp issue or clip issue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Toothickbigrick

Bearcat
I believe this mini 14 is a 582 series? Numbers are as followed 582-72xxx. I'm a new mini 14 owner and rifle was purchased used, came with a few 20, 10, and 5 round factory mags and it always jams on the right side bullet when feeding, now this hardly happens with the factory mags but it seems to be a constant issue with pro mags 42 round poly clip, with that being said is it a feed ramp issue more then a clip issue? I'm sure the mag sucks but I'm not looking for mag reviews I'm looking for the reason its hitting the feed ramp so hard and not sliding into the tube. (I would like to upload photos but I'm using a cell phone and don't see an option )

hittman

Staff member
Pics can only be posted with Imgur or similar options.

These guns seem to like factory mags best as you know.

Is gun clean and well lubricated? You using factory new ammo or reloads? Identify which mags it NEVER happens with and quit using the others.

5card

Blackhawk
Man I own a bunch of them and they shoot anything with and mag good or cheap? I think I would clean the gun well but also spray the mags out with some cleaner. The fellow you got the mags from may have them all gummed up. That mini is about the best feeding gun on the market.

I've shot thousands of rounds of American Eagle 5.56 out of my Mini with zero failures, I tried some steel case ammo one time and had all kinds of issues. Don't rule out ammo being the problem, as stated above, a good clean and lube can do wonders.

You are first better off with factory mags... as I think you know Pro-mags are not very good... I would first want to know what happens with the original 5 round mag? Next, when does it jam... it on the first or second shot or random through out all the rounds?