Mini 14 model history and the 196

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Can someone point me to a good detailed rundown of the model differences (the 180s through the 580s) of the Mini 14?

And should I fear the 196 series? What was later changed on these to make the 580s?

Thanks.

DGW1949

Hunter
Here, this will help get you started. It mostly has to do with twist rates, but if you read all of the narrative, it touches on other differences too:
http://sunflowerammo.blogspot.com/2012/11/ruger-mini-1430-barrel-twist-rates.html

Once you get all of that down, there's a lot of other things to learn...different sighting arrangements, bolt configurations, barrel length/contours, stocks, hand guards, variations specific to special export and/or police/military models, etc. All in all, a purty-big subject, and quite interesting at that.

As for your "196" question, I don't know what you're getting at there.

DGW

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the good link. I just wondered if the 196 had any noteworthy issues among the other versions.

gunman42782

Hunter
I really wish someone would publish a book akin to Know Your Ruger Single Action Revolvers, but on the Mini 14. I would buy one!

chet15

Hawkeye
gunman42782 said:
I really wish someone would publish a book akin to Know Your Ruger Single Action Revolvers, but on the Mini 14. I would buy one!

I doubt if there are that many people out there who want to know all the technical tidbits of a Mini-14...not enough to warrant a big run at the publisher anyway.
The Mini-14 really isn't that mysterious.

The first 180's were made in Southport, Connecticut have a walnut stock, gold bead front sight and a bolt hold open device located on the outside of the receiver.
After 1400 to 1600 of those were produced, Ruger started making them in Newport, NH they were given the large blade type front sight (retaining the hold open device monstrosity on the left side of the receiver).
Ruger changed the hold open device to one that was internal and started numbering them with a 181- prefix. All guns from the 181- prefix through 188- are essentially the same, except the 187's are the Ranch rifle model with Ruger's integral ring system cast right into the receiver.
Most of the 189's are Mini-30's but when Ruger ran out of regular serial numbers with the standard model and the Ranch model, they were mixed in with the 189- prefix until that prefix was used up.
When 189-99999 was reached, Ruger went to 195- since the 190-, 191- and 192- was used with Ruger's AC556.
Serial numbering went into the 197- prefix when Ruger decided to update the Mini and give it new sights....calling it the New Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, or New Mini-Thirty, and starting them out at the 580- prefix and 581- prefix respectively. When the 580- prefix was complete used up Ruger mixed all New Mini-s in the 581- prefix.

As far as rifling on the old Mini-14 series 180 through 189- and 195- to 197-, there were at least two and maybe at least 3 rifling changes.
Chet15

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Thanks.

Also wondering which versions/serials were maybe known as notoriously poor, or maybe known as the best of the bunch.

DGW1949

Hunter
tacotime said:
Thanks.

Also wondering which versions/serials were maybe known as notoriously poor, or maybe known as the best of the bunch.

I'm beginning to see what you're getting at.
Myself, I've owned several of these things over the years, which by extension means that I've probably had about as much experience with the different variations as the next guy...or leastways, plenty enough to have formed some opinions.

To start with, Ruger has yet to market what I'd call "the perfect Mini". The reasons for that are many, but what it boils down to in terms of how I understand your question is this:

Some have better sights than others, but none were produced using the best rear sight in conjunction with the best front sight. The point there being that the best rear sighting arrangement went bye-bye with the pre-Ranch models, and the best front sight is only found on the 580-up models.
By design, some eject out the top, some out the side...meaning that the Ranch Rifle models are much easier to successfully mount a scope onto. If that's your thing, you may also be interested to know that somewhere towards the end of the "581-series" of serial numbers, Ruger began D&T'ing the Mini receiver and included a matching rail in the box for those who prefer conventional "Weaver type" rings.
As a group, and in terms of sitting at a bench while chasing small groups on a paper target, most of the blued Mini's I've owned would consistently outshoot most of the otherwise identical stainless models I've owned. I can't say why that is, I just know that that's been my experience. And FWIW, most of the as-issued Mini-30's that I've owned (or worked with) would outshoot most of the as-issued Mini-14's that I's that I've owned.
As far as barrel design goes, the 581-up has the best Mini-14 barrel by far...but, that particular barrel will not directly interchange on any other serial number series. Plus, it uses a 1-9 twist which may or may not be optimum what whatever use you have in mind. That said though, as far as I'm concerned...when Ruger began installing their "new-fangled barrel", they all but made their previous Mini-14's obsolete for anything other than casual plinking. Yeah, it really is that much better.

Are any of the others "notoriously poor" or "the best of the bunch"?...well no, not really. After all, when ya get right down to it, the Mini-14 is what it is, any/all of 'em will do exactly what they were intended to do, and baring some sort of factory defect, will reliably keep doing it time after time, year after year.
On the other hand, it is not now, nor has it ever been what it is not...so my advice to anyone whom may be thinking about buying one is to align his expectations accordingly. Otherwise, he'll surely be setting himself up for failure.

DGW

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Good realistic advice. I accept that they come with their faults and that later may be a little better, assuming no fall off in Ruger quality control as has been seen from time to time in recent years. Thanks.

gunman42782

Hunter
Thanks Chad and DGW1949 for some good info. I concur with DGW on what he said about the old ones not being anywhere near as accurate as the new, and that the blue ones seem to shoot better than the stainless. I have owned around 6 over the years, and all the old ones where minute of pie plate accurate at 100 yards. My 580 series gun (with accu-strut) is much more accurate, and the bullets don't wonder when the barrel heats up like the old ones did.

welder

Buckeye
FWIW, I had two 196 series and both were typical Mini,s, good solid shooters and neither gave me any problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the price was right.

DGW1949

Hunter
welder said:
FWIW, I had two 196 series and both were typical Mini,s, good solid shooters and neither gave me any problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the price was right.

I agree with you on that 100%.
Problem seems to be though, that everybody trying to sell a Mini these days, all seem to think that they're all worth within $100 the price of a new one...so then there's that.

DGW

welder

Buckeye
Agree as well, hence the price must be right.

You know it's not only Mini's but others too, to wit: the BIL of a friend of mine offered me a typical SKS except this special one had a "refinished" stock and a "scope" a few months ago for the princely sum of $800. Seems he needed some car repairs and decided to sell a gun. Apparently he had been on GB for his market research.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Thanks Gents, good info. Along these lines of barrel issues, have you seen the youtube super slow motion videos of mini 14 barrels flexing when fired? I was surprised to see the later barrel flex quite a bit as well, but maybe not as much, which I suppose is the result of the improvement. Still, why not just add some thickness to the barrel?

And does the shorter, thicker barrel of the Tactical model appear more accurate than the full length barrels?

mac66

Single-Sixer
Having a little experience with the Mini 14 and Mini 30 I will say that one of the best things you can do to increase your ability to shoot them more accurately is to replace the factory rear sight with a Tech Sight. The Tech Sight is click adjustable and has a smaller aperture which makes it easier to see the front sight. I have an older Ranch model with a blade front sight. The TS actually works well with that sight and is much easier to shoot well.