MIM trigger on SRH .44 mag. Should I be concerned?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wellthought

Bearcat
I can tell that I have a MIM trigger on my 7.5" SRH .44 magnum. There's no telling what else is MIM on the inside. Should I be worried? What is MIM and is it as strong and reliable as casting, forging, etc. Thanks.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
MIM is a non issue, nothing to worry about.

If it was inferior in any way, guns would be breaking all over the world, broken cars would litter the highways,
airplanes would fall out of the sky and it would have been replaced long ago.

wellthought

Bearcat
jbntx said:
MIM is a non issue, nothing to worry about.

If it was inferior in any way, guns would be breaking all over the world, broken cars would litter the highways,
airplanes would fall out of the sky and it would have been replaced long ago.

Thanks for the clarity and confidence in MIM!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The same things were said about cast parts back when Rugers first started using them. How many frames have you heard of failing? They are not machined out of billet steel or forged.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I can tell that I have a MIM trigger on my 7.5" SRH .44 magnum. There's no telling what else is MIM on the inside. Should I be worried? What is MIM and is it as strong and reliable as casting, forging, etc. Thanks.

First I gotta ask... You're concerned about a MiM parts yet you're seemingly unaware of what MiM actually is? Just kinda confused be initially.

Anyways... I wouldn't be concerned whatsoever. Think...it's a firearm so using substandard parts would be a EnOrMoUs risk for Ruger. They spend considerable time with R&D with this stuff to be sure it's retaining the quality and strength both required and what a great deal of their reputation is based upon. Keep in mind also that Ruger and it's Pine Tree Casting division are one of the big boys in metal forgings, castings, etc so they kinda know their stuff with this type of product.
Some immediately hate it or anything different even without having any real knowledge of or first hand experience with the product or process in this case. People have a very difficult time accepting change so to those folks, any change that isn't what they want is a bad, bad thing. Let those people show the inferiority of the change before taking their claims as anything more than opinion and heresay.
Shoot with confidence and enjoy your new Ruger. :)

Clark

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
The same things were said about cast parts back when Rugers first started using them. How many frames have you heard of failing? They are not machined out of billet steel or forged.

This very thought has often occurred to me. It's tough for some people to come to grips that the old way of doing things may be superseded by something that is cheaper, easier or more modern.

Clark

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger's been transitioning into MIM parts for about 15 years now, revolvers for the past three.
They outsource MIMs to their specs, don't have the facilities to do their own.
They are good quality MIMs.
Denis

exlogger

Single-Sixer
I hate the MIM trigger on my GP100. They have rounded it so much that it digs into my finger on the DA pull. The pressure of the trigger pull is no longer distributed equally.