Mike Womble

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I hope this is appropriate for this forum. I don't know how many of you knew Mike Womble but he was very big in Ruger Collecting and the Ruger Collectors Association. Some of you may have bought from him or sold him Rugers. He was a great friend and We worked together at the Tallahassee Police Department for 25 plus years but more than that, he was a great friend. I don't think I have ever met anyone more passionate about Rugers. He convinced me to send my ROA to Bobby Tyler for engraving. He had been battling throat cancer and other cancers recently and passed away on Sunday. He will be greatly missed. Please pray for his wife Janice and his two sons, they are having a rough time as would be expected. I am going to miss my friend

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm stunned.
I'm sitting here in my deer stand, and I find this post.
I've been friends with Mike for so many years that I can't remember when we first met.
Not only did we share our passion for Rugers, we both loved hunting. The latest ROCS digest features a great story Mike wrote about hunting with his Ruger.
But another area that Mike and I shared a passion for was scuba diving. I used to teach diving and it was something we both loved to do. Including underwater hunting.
We always seemed to have some kind of trade awaiting for us to meet up at the ROCS/OGCA show.
But I always truly appreciated that Mike worked with me to help me get my first Hawkeye handgun. A gun that took me 35 years to finally get. It's the same gun that I've shared a picture with many of the complete fire ring taken several years ago and captured by accident.
I hope Mike's spirit will be with me as I hunt this year.
My heart is aching but my prayers are with his family.
RIP my friend

Now this is sad news indeed, as a fellow LE, he was always great to deal, visit and
'bruiser' was a really nice guy...our thoughts and prayers are with the family,,,another sad day in our Ruger world...may he rest in Peace........🙏🙏

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
He truly loved hunting both deer and fish. He was one of the kindest and nicest person I have ever known. It is funny you mention the Hawkeye. I mentioned to him the other day that I have always wanted a Hawkeye and he told me he knew where a good one was at a good price. Sadly we were interrupted and I never got the chance to ask him about it. He had a rough time with cancer but kept his spirits up. My wife was going through a liver transplant at the same time and we they were both going to Shands in Gainesville for treatment. We got to talk a lot about hunting and guns during that time. We had even talked about going to Saskatchewan for deer. He loved that place

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
IMG_2094.jpeg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
:(:mad: Oh no! That's terrible news. Mike and I have the same birthdate, two years apart, and used to trade old man jabs on our birthday (he was 2 years younger than me) and occasional cop/inspector/donut jokes. I only met him once or twice at shows but chatted online much more over the years, usually when one of us was selling something the other wanted. He will be missed.

I've known an unusual number of guys with throat cancer; my old local gun dealer (he recovered), Carl "flatgate" the former owner of this board, my sister in-law's ex-husband (still her best friend) who is presently undergoing radiation 6 days/week and chemo once/week, and now Mike. Bad stuff.

Mike722 on here. I have bought things from him a number of times, and when I first joined here with a question about a Single Six I had just bought (3 different colors and aluminum frame) I was educated about the Ruger TriColor Lightweights. I had never seen heard of one until I bought that one at a moving sale. Anyway- guys here convinced me to NOT shoot it, so Mike bought it from me and walked me through the legal shipping process. I considered him a friend. So sad.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I bought his Anniversary Blackhawk 44 Mag several years ago, when he listed it here, with his 722 number. I wound up with another and never fired his and it remained NIB, in my safe. Maybe 5 yrs later or so, I reached out to him and asked if he wanted it back. Said he wished he never let it go, sold it back for the same price. He was more than happy! Didn't know he had been struggling health wise. RIP 722. Bill in MA

AzGeno

Single-Sixer
WOW, So sad to hear this news.
Mike was so active in the Ruger Community and a true leader.
His passing will leave a big void.
Prayers for this family.