Metal Shavings SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

javelina80

Bearcat
So today I took my brother in law out to shoot my SR9. I was excited to show him my new handgun as he is in the market for one. I had about 200 rounds through it with no issues. We went through a box of WWB and had a few FTE's. It probably was shooter error as he was unfamiliar with the SR9. Anyway I had one light primer strike on some HP's that I have, and wanted to try out. So I brought it home and took it apart. I found a good amount of metal shavings in there. I have done some searching, and see that others have had this issue. Is this something that I need to worry about? Will it be a continuing problem? I didn't clean it out prior to shooting it out of the box so it could have been there since day one. I just hope this isn't the start of a long problem. Also never use TulAmmo. That junk sucks big time. More problems with it then anything out there. It has a steel case, and it left my sr9 extremely dirty. Spend the extra dollar, and get something better. Any help on the shavings issue would be greatly appreciated!

boomer1

Single-Sixer
javelina80 said:
So today I took my brother in law out to shoot my SR9. I was excited to show him my new handgun as he is in the market for one. I had about 200 rounds through it with no issues. We went through a box of WWB and had a few FTE's. It probably was shooter error as he was unfamiliar with the SR9. Anyway I had one light primer strike on some HP's that I have, and wanted to try out. So I brought it home and took it apart. I found a good amount of metal shavings in there. I have done some searching, and see that others have had this issue. Is this something that I need to worry about? Will it be a continuing problem? I didn't clean it out prior to shooting it out of the box so it could have been there since day one. I just hope this isn't the start of a long problem. Also never use TulAmmo. That junk sucks big time. More problems with it then anything out there. It has a steel case, and it left my sr9 extremely dirty. Spend the extra dollar, and get something better. Any help on the shavings issue would be greatly appreciated!

Hey javelina,

A review of recent posts would reveal that folks have the best success with their SR series pistols by performing a thorough field strip/clean/lube prior to the first range trip and using reasonable range ammo. That being said, hopefully you performing these steps after noticing problems will take care of the majority of your issues. Use some reasonable ammo, not protentially problematic brands (i.e., foreign brands, Win White Box, or Rem UMC). When I was breaking in my SR9c, I used American Eagle and Rem, 115gr and 124gr. If you continue to have problems, a trip to Ruger may be necessary.

Good luck,
boomer 8)

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i have not shot much tula ammo, but i will say you will find a *TON* of metal shavings in the striker channel when you remove the striker. its normal and is from the striker hitting the primer.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
javelina80 said:
Any idea if it is normal? Is it a reoccurring issue? (metal shavings) My first 200 or so rounds were flawless... no issues.

I didn't find any shavings in my SR9c when I gave it it's first cleaning, nor any after but I have read a number of first cleaning reports that did unfortunatly report finding leftover manufacturing shavings.
Now if your talking about brass shaving or possibly steel if you're shooting steel cased ammo, I have seen that a lot. I believe it is caused by the ammo's case not being completely deburred at the factory and shearing small pieces of metal from the mouth of the case during cycling.
I find the conclusion of metal shavings ending up in the striker channel due to impact of the pin and primer doubtful. Not something I've ever seen in any weapon???
Sal

jhearne

Buckeye
Never find any shavings in my SR9, maybe some little brass shavings from the extractor or something every now and then. I've never really had an issue with it. You shouldn't find shavings in there at all, but some do find them on the initial cleaning and fewer after that subsequently. Depends on the tolerances of the machining and how everything is wearing in. I'd clean it, and shoot better ammo. Federal, CCI, WWB or Remington UMC. My SR9 hasn't had any issues from the gun or ammo it's been fed. YMMV!

Josh

fixer

Bearcat
I had some early striker issues. Ruger replaced the striker and I beat on it hard: 700-800 rds without cleaning and no issues.

If you continue to have light strikes, your striker may need replacing. Ruger customer service is a model for all manufacturers ... so don't be afraid to call.

graygun

Hunter
I haven't seen that in mine through about 1,300 rds. I have used WWB and some Monarch and reloads with no problems.

Billinator

Bearcat
When I got my SR9, the first thing I did was completely field strip it, removed all grease(found a few shavings), removed the striker from the channel, and sprayed brakeclean in the channel, and on the striker to remove all grease(seemed excessive). Also when I took out the clip and looked inside, there was a ton of shavings(really surprised me)! But thats why you whould clean it out fully, and get familiar with the gun before the first outing!

ballcoach16

Bearcat
I have shot hundreds of rounds of tulammo in my SR9c. While it is dirty, it has performed flawlessly. I love the stuff, personally.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
As a rule, I always field strip any new gun before firing to give it the once over and become familiar with the manual of arms for that particular gun.

In my SR9, there was a small amount of shavings. I cleaned it and it did not reoccur.

After a lot of rounds, your magazines may accumulate shavings from the cycling of rounds through the action. I clean my mags once or twice a year and before a training class.

Strip it. Clean it. Lube it. Enjoy.

javelina80

Bearcat
Here is what I wrote Ruger, and their response.

"Hi,
I recently bought a SR9, and had about 200 round through it will no issues. It worked as advertised. Yesterday I took the SR9 out again, and had a couple light primer strikes. I brought the firearm home, and found copper colored metal shavings in the striker channel. I cleaned the striker channel, slide and all contacts points as per your 'how to' video. I haven't tested it yet again, but am wanting to know if metal shavings in the striker channel are normal on a new handgun? Thanks.

Response:
Yes, this is normal. When pistol is new there are a lot of sharp edges on the pistol that will case it to have small pieces of metal shaved off. These edges will go away after the pistol is broken in. The more you use the firearm the better it gets.

If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:...."

Vecco

Single-Sixer
It is normal.. mine did it for a long time. The more you clean it after each time at the range the more you will notice it. It did go away. Remember allot of people clean their guns once every year, so for them, they have never seen it.

RMFC

Bearcat
As far as the ammo goes I've only shot PMC 115gr FMJ. No problems at all. I have a box of Federal 115 that ill be shooting soon and I'm picking up a couple boxes of blazer so if i have any problems ill pass that along. Ive read about a lot of light primer strikes from SR9 owners when using WWB, something to do with stronger than usual primers, so I think i will steer clear!

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Ruger doesn't seem to have a very clean factory.

I got my mkIII from the factory about a month ago, and it had this nasty gritty lubricant in it. I cleaned it all out, and amazingly the controls and action smoothed up beautifully.

I suspect they are using old motor oil to lubricate the guns. I don't know of any lubricant on the market that is this horrible and dirty... unless it's some secret formula that Ruger manufactures:

New from Ruger: Lubrican't™
It "can't" be very good for your guns!
NOW WITH 30% MORE GRIT!

My experience, and especially with Rugers: clean and lubricate the hell out of it before shooting.

looney2ns

Bearcat
I believe Ruger is using something to ship the guns in that they have found will protect it from rust and corrision incase the guns sits in storage very long term. I'm sure some of the storage locations guns may sit in before being sold are pretty hostile places for metal.

Factory cleanliness has nothing to do with it.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Still doesn't explain the grit, and the metal shavings, etc.

Nope, it's ooooooooooooooooooold motor oil with dirt and metal shavings sprinkled in.

jhearne

Buckeye
Ruger uses a pretty heavy and generous coating of grease and a lighter oil to protect them for storage as said above. It doesn't have to explain the grit, just has to bring logic to your sarcastic observation/explanation of your own MKIII.

Ever look at the extractor on your MKIII and see what it's face looks like? Do you shoot dirty ammo? Ruger also shoots a decent number of rounds before they ship a gun to verify proper function, it's likely they don't clean the gun afterwards but just wipe easily accessible faces down. If they tear into the gun to clean it, they'd have to check for function again and reshoot it, getting it dirty again. My MKIII can never stay clean, I've yet to find a clean .22LR ammo....then again, with 250+ rounds per range trip, I'd expect a politician to tell me the truth before I'd expect to come home with a clean gun.

Josh

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I've punched a lot of rounds through the SR9 in the last two months. Just over 1000 to be exact. 115 PMC, 115 Fed, 115 WWB, (300 rds no issues) 115 Tula, 115 Blazer.

No light strikes, I had one Fail to feed with the 115 Fed in the 1st mag fired but attribute that to everything new. All ammo fired with no problems. Out of the 300 Tula 9mm I threw out one round were the primer material was actually partially exposed. I found at least one round in each box were the primer was partially crushed. All went bang when fired.

I get the fed for 10.47 a box at the local wally world so thats what it gets when available. Tula 9.47 WWB 22.47 a 100 is always available.

good luck
GF

Latest posts