Mark IV tactical rifling problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bluesman55

Bearcat
I have a new Mark IV and noticed a dark spot just beyond the chamber. I'll attach some photos I took with a bore scope.
What could have left this in the bore? I don't think it is lead as I've soaked that area with Hoppe's, and this doesn't show
up anywhere else in the bore.
I have not shot the gun but Ruger has fired about 30 rounds through it when it was sent
back to them for repair. Ruger re-blued the gun but didn't fix the rifling.
WIN_20230528_16_45_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230528_16_44_47_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230528_16_44_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230528_16_44_13_Pro.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM...!!!
I've been of the opinion that buying a bore scope would cause me to look deeply into places where I would never normally look. Consequently, I have NEVER found a problem with any of my firearms and I shoot the hell outta them all. Is there a bad bore in the batch ???? Maybe....!
Don't Worry....Be Happy
JMHO,
J.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm from the shoot it fraternity too.

Story- bought a gunsmith special in the 90's. A 6-7/8 MK-I. It had two bulges in the barrel with coinciding rings inside. One much larger/deeper than the other. It shot as good as any I have ever owned.

I also question those that buy a gun having never shot it start looking for upgrade kits. You don't even know it shoots yet. I would consider this a similar situation. Shoot it and find out if there is an issue. Ruger won't deny a warranty claim because you shot it.

If it bothers you that much, just ship it to me for proper disposal. I have a 22/45 III that was a crappy shooter for almost 400 rounds. THEN, it started improving and is now a bragging rights shooter. Maybe it too looked like that inside???

Latest posts