Mark I sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TomW

Bearcat
I have a Mark I serial number puts it at 1972 vintage. I got it as a gift from my wife who passed away 2 years ago. So replacing this gun is not an option. I am looking for some ideas to improve the fixed black sights. I would like to find adjustable replacement sights with either fiber optic or at least a dot on the front site. Any suggestions?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Due to the fact the fixed sights are regulated by their height, just replacing a front sight blade will not allow it to shoot to point of aim unless the replacement is the exact same height. If you add a Ruger adjustable rear sight assy, it will also be off due to how low the rear sight currently sits. The fixed sighted guns require a complete sight replacement to get it to shoot to point of aim, or the addition of a scope or such.
There are "No drill & tap" options to allow you to mount a scope on one. There used to be a B-Square clamp on scope mount like this.
The ones that use the rear dovetail groove to be a No D&T I THINK are only for the types that already have adjustable rear sights. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THIS.
Now, there is a type of replacement sights made by Ram-Line just for the fixed sighted guns for the MKI & MKII models. I do not think they have been offered "new" in a few years.
But, I do have a set of them myself I'd sell.
You gently tap out the front blade & replace it with one of (3) colored inserts, They are black, white or orange. Then you tap out the rear fixed sight, and install the adjustable rear assy. It also has 3 colors to choose from, black, white or orange.
So, what you are doing is adding a set of adjustable sights to a fixed sighted gun.
I've not seen a fiber optic sight offered for one of these models myself.

If you have an interest in my set of sights, PM me & I can send you a picture of the set I have. (I'll be out all day working at a gun show for the NRA. so please be patient with me.)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a B square no drill for my Mark I. Works well. Slid right on, seems to be sturdy enough to handle most any small scope/sight. It is rather large. As an added bonus, the iron sights can still be used with the mount installed. Got it at a local gun store, but see them on the web lots of places.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
TomW said:
I have a Mark I serial number puts it at 1972 vintage. I got it as a gift from my wife who passed away 2 years ago. So replacing this gun is not an option. I am looking for some ideas to improve the fixed black sights. I would like to find adjustable replacement sights with either fiber optic or at least a dot on the front site. Any suggestions?

Here's what I use and offer my customers who own early Ruger Standard models with fixed sights and long for an adjustable rear sight.

This is a rear adjustable sight that will work with your current front sight blade. If interested, you can contact me at [email protected]

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
You are right, the Mark I pistols are the target version and they ALL came with adjustable sights. The Standards were only offered with fixed sights, but with the advent of the various .22 Long Rifle ammunition, and different bullet weights and velocities involved, it's nice to have the option of an adjustable rear sight added to the Standards. Now that I have this adjustable rear sight on my RST4 (which was actually the first "LITE" model :) ) I do shoot this little pistol much more than before, the rear adjustable sight was added.

Epoch

Bearcat
You make those yourself, D A Wood? I'd imagine painting the front site, and adding one of these would make a nice option to upgrade an old standard auto.

Chad

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Epoch said:
You make those yourself, D A Wood? I'd imagine painting the front site, and adding one of these would make a nice option to upgrade an old standard auto.

Chad

No sir, I don't make these, but I do sell 'em. :wink: Over the years, I have tried painting front sight blade faces, but found that the paint didn't last real long or would cause glare from the sun. I stole an idea from Smith & Wesson revolvers with how they use an inlayed insert in their front sight blades that work pretty well with the white-outline rear sight blade.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have some older rear adjustable Millet sights for Ruger Std. Autos. I got them with no paperwork so I don't know what front sight to use with them. I believe the Millet sights are the 100 series. I also have some orange plastic front sights that came with the rear sights, but don't know if they are a set or not. Must have beem 25 or more years ago when I bought them.