Mark I Recoil Spring and Ammo Questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
Hi, all -

A Mk.I that I haven't shot before, excellent condition, 6 7/8", outstanding shooter, cycled well with Federal AutoMatch (325 round box, 1200 FPS.), cycled less consistently with Federal Premium Target Gold Medal (1080 FPS.)

Great accuracy with both brands.

Is it advisable to replace the recoil spring on this (possibly) 50 year-old Ruger?

Is there a preferred ammo velocity for this model?

My Mk.III seems to shoot / function well with both of these ammos, so any advice is appreciated...

Thanks -

Monty

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Since they are only $8, I would just make the change.

The manual says "The Ruger Automatic pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber
Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to Industry
Standards." - - - Your guess is probably better than mine.

Since the pistol functions well with higher velocity ammo and less so with "weaker" ammo, I'd say you may need to clean and re-lube. These are the symptoms presented by my 22/45 pistols when they get really filthy inside. As noted, it isn't a big deal to replace the spring. I just don't think that's the issue.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I too have a Mark 1, from about 1970 (?), with 50,000 rounds through it, and still the original recoil spring. Functions flawlessly (always has), even with the slightly slower Target ammo, which I prefer. A weakened spring (from much firing) would simply result in a slightly snappier recoil. A new spring might require more energetic rounds. Don't know what you mean by "cycled less consistently". I would change ammo if necessary, or look at maybe the mag being the culprit. I have one mag which I don't use, preferring two others instead.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thank you both -

I will change the spring, inexpensive maintenance.

I have tended to purchase standard velocity ammo for my revolvers, less "spitting" at the b/c gap.

The AutoMatch seems to be a good all-around ammo -

Monty

Montelores

Buckeye
woodsy said:
I too have a Mark 1, from about 1970 (?), with 50,000 rounds through it...

Thanks for the information - it's helpful.

Great pistol, I'm sorry that I let it languish in the safe for so long!

With the Federal Target Gold Medal, there wasn't consistent cycling - the cases wouldn't eject fully, hanging up and needing to be cleared.

Not so with the AutoMatch - cycled perfectly every time.

Both were very accurate, difficult to pick a winner between the two.

I tend to use lower velocity ammo in my .22 handguns, the HV stuff usually in the rifles.

Thanks again -

Monty

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm no wizard at this but I'm thinking a new spring won't help.

The lower velocity ammo is hanging up. A new spring is going to be stiffer (or equal) so the pressure to cycle will be equal or more than you have now. If the gun isn't cycling fast enough to let the case clear you are making it worse. If it is short cycling, again worse. If it is cycling too fast I'm not sure which way that would go. Slower cycle due to more resistance or faster cycler due to more return pressure.

Now if you clean and lube it well. The slower ammo may gain enough velocity to fully cycle. It just rings of a slow bolt moving to me. And cleaning is free!

Or I am completely full of crap and my logic train derailed.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Dan in MI said:

The lower velocity ammo is hanging up. A new spring is going to be stiffer (or equal) so the pressure to cycle will be equal or more than you have now. If the gun isn't cycling fast enough to let the case clear you are making it worse. If it is short cycling, again worse. If it is cycling too fast I'm not sure which way that would go. Slower cycle due to more resistance or faster cycler due to more return pressure.

Now if you clean and lube it well. The slower ammo may gain enough velocity to fully cycle. It just rings of a slow bolt moving to me. And cleaning is free!.
That's kind of half of what I implied earlier. A new spring is not the answer.

Montelores

Buckeye
woodsy said:
Dan in MI said:

Now if you clean and lube it well. The slower ammo may gain enough velocity to fully cycle. It just rings of a slow bolt moving to me. And cleaning is free!.
That's kind of half of what I implied earlier. A new spring is not the answer.

Quoting here to answer both responses -

I phrased my OP poorly - I actually was asking 2 separate questions.

I'm fine with the AutoMatch ammo, it shoots quite accurately and consistently.

I do understand that a new spring might have more resistance.

I just wasn't sure if a spring change mightn't be prudent on a 50 year-old pistol.

Probably not a bad idea -

Thanks again -

Monty

Xsales

Buckeye
Yep the spring is not the issue
More so a cleaning & lube, making sure all is clear and free flowing

Lighter ammo may/can hang up the recoil (less pressure) where obviously heavier rounds will produce more recoil (more pressure) and less issues

The spring while is very easy to replace won't cause this

Johnnu2

Hunter
I had a 40+ year old .22 auto pistol that I literally had never fired more than 100 rounds through... bought it new. Had the same problem you have and guessed the lower velocity would not work because the gun was not "broken in".... I fired 500 rounds of mini-mags through it and BINGO, all better with whatever I feed it now. I'm thinking I got lucky because who would think a cheap (it was an Iver Johnson) pocket auto (TP-22) would need a break in period.
FWIW,
J

Montelores

Buckeye
Thank you both.

It cycles flawlessly with the Federal Automatch (black and white box with the bullseye) and the new Ruger Mk.I magazine from my LGS.

I have cleaned and oiled it - I can't believe that I left this sitting my safe for so long.

It's crazy accurate and consistent.

Monty

I've got one of those that I bought new, it's had lots of rounds fired
in it over the last 40 some years I've had it.
Different brands of .22 ammo do vary slightly in dimensions. I'd look
very closely at the extractor and notch or slot it rides in.
One mine the ejector that's riveted in position had become loose also. I made
up a small mandrel to slip in to peen the rivet a bit and eliminated
the "slop" in it. Only other issue it ever had was a broken firing pin a few years
ago
Dave

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
Since the pistol functions well with higher velocity ammo and less so with "weaker" ammo, I'd say you may need to clean and re-lube. These are the symptoms presented by my 22/45 pistols when they get really filthy inside. As noted, it isn't a big deal to replace the spring. I just don't think that's the issue.

Really? On the Ruger Mark I pistol? The recoil assembly spring rod is crimped at the rear end ahead of the yoke that goes against the bolt stop pin. The front end of the recoil spring assembly rod is peened over to hold it in place on the half-moon piece that fits into the groove in the front end of the bolt. This allows the recoil spring rod to slide forward during the bolt cycling sequence.
To declare that the recoil spring is EASILY replaced on the older versions of the Ruger Standard, Mark I, II, III & 22/45 pistols, is something I'd sure like to see done. Especially on the front end of the recoil spring assembly rod. I have done several, and it's a very involved process.
I wouldn't replace the recoil spring unless it was broken into two or three sections, which I have seen several times.

Just thinking. I wonder if Ruger or one of the various parts suppliers offers the rod and spring assembled.

That said my MK I is from the late 60's early 70's. Other than cleaning it's required no parts replacement. I have no idea how many thousands of round have gone through it, but it's a bunch.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
Just thinking. I wonder if Ruger or one of the various parts suppliers offers the rod and spring assembled.

That said my MK I is from the late 60's early 70's. Other than cleaning it's required no parts replacement. I have no idea how many thousands of round have gone through it, but it's a bunch.

I am not sure which 3rd party supplier of MK series pistol small parts it is but
I believe that either Volquartsen and or TANDEMKROSS sells a rod and spring
assembly already to drop in, I don't know if Ruger sells the assembly as a unit
or not, here are the links to VQ and TANDEMKROSS

https://volquartsen.com/

https://www.tandemkross.com/