M77/MKII boat paddle stock question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TnShooter83

Bearcat
Will the newer style M77/MKII stock my rifle?
Mine is in 7mm Mag. is that considered a Long Action?
Any idea on where to find a new style stock in black synthetic?
Do I order a Long Action stock for the 7mm Mag or is it different than say the 30-06 stock?

I just don't like the sling mounts on the "boat paddle" stock
and a little extra padding would help the recoil.

My M77/MKII in .270 has the new style stock and I LOVE it.
That stock would be great on the 7mm Mag if it would fit.

Thanks for any help.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Try swapping them. Only 3 screws holding them in. The 7MM may have a thicker barrel, but I don't think so. Hardest part is making sure the mag wells go in straight. Both are long action, the new black synthetic stocks are easy to come by.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19621/Product/STOCK-ASSEMBLY-LONG-ACTION-ALL-WEATHER

TnShooter83

Bearcat
Thanks for the info.
WOW....$120.00 for a plastic stock?

I measured the barrel it is approx .705" where the barrel meets the end of the forearm on both the 270 Win and 7mm Mag.
The end of the barrel approx. .575" at the end of both 270/7mm.
From the front of the bolt cut out to the end of the forearm is approx. 15-3/8" on both as well.

I would just swap the stocks and see, but I hate to have to zero the scopes again. I'm not sure why, but I took the stock off my brothers 30-06 to clean it good and the groups shifted about 3/8" High-Left at 100 yards. WEIRD.

Maybe some more will chime in later.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
It seems like you have the lighter profile barrel on the 7mm if it matches the 270 barrel. Heavier barrels are used on the 25-06,7mag,300mag,and the 338mag. All other long action calibers as a general rule have the same barrel profiles unless you are talking an ultralight model.

You can swap any stock between a Hawkeye and a MkII. And as far as the groups shifting after swapping stocks...a different torque value on the screws can have that effect. Some use a torque wrench in order to keep things constant and also to find the sweet spot a certain rifle prefers for accuracy.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
TnShooter83 said:
TI'm not sure why, but I took the stock off my brothers 30-06 to clean it good and the groups shifted about 3/8" High-Left at 100 yards. WEIRD.

You torqued the stock screws differently than they were when he originally sighted in- you need consistency to keep hitting the same POA.

I don't know the magic formula for Ruger stocks, but my H-S Precision needs 65 inch pounds on the action screws. Some stocks need different torque values between the different action screws to perform best (e.g., 65 inch pounds on one screw and 45 inch pounds on another) and I think Ruger may be one of these.