M77 in 22 Hornet....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have a friend who has S/N 720-14733 in blue with walnut stock. He just loves the rifle and the rotary magazine but tells me the trigger is scary light. He purchased it used and wonders if the previous owner played with it or if it is defective from the factory. Does anyone here have any expertise in this model or knowledge of any problems with the trigger? I have not seen it yet but wonder if it has any adjustment? He is almost afraid of it the way it is. Ideas? Help? David

TDF

Single-Sixer
Does it by chance have an aftermarket trigger? Pull the action out of the stock and take a pic and post it up. Pretty easy to tell an aftermarket one from an original. I have Rifle Basix triggers in both my 77/22's and they are adjustable from mere ounces to a few pounds. Don't think the original is adjustable, but some amateur gunsmith could have played with it.

TDF

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I do not believe it would have an aftermarket trigger but have asked for a photo. I have also contacted Ruger Customer Service to ask if they have had any issues. Thanks TDF, I appreciate the reply.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I have the answer. I asked my friend to remove the action from the stock and take a photo. He does and finds a Timney trigger assembly. I was pissed that he had not looked earlier. So, I just told him to get an owners manual for the Timney and adjust it to a heavier setting. Sorry that I took up time and space here! Lesson learned. My fault actually as I should have asked more questions.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
The debacle continues. He has the trigger removed from his rifle and it is not marked as to who made it. So, his idea that it was Timney is now suspect. Can someone look at this photo (I hope) and advise what we have?

TDF

Single-Sixer
That looks like the factory trigger to me. The little horn off the back of the trigger is a little longer than the one I took out of my 77/22, (could easily just be a production difference) but otherwise that looks factory. Are there any adjustment screws in it that we can't see from the angle of the pic? The original has none. What does the trigger spring look like? Mine is about 5/8 inch long. Has that been trimmed?

TDF

TDF

Single-Sixer
Well the adjustment screw is the give away then. That is not factory, or has been modified to add the screw.
If it's aftermarket, I don't recognize it. But that's not saying much as I'm about as far from an expert as one can get, I'm only familiar with the Basix aftermarket trigger. With the Rifle Basix trigger I installed, the spring get's changed out also, so it's likely your friends spring is different than the factory one.
Does the screw add or relieve tension on the trigger spring?

TDF

TDF

Single-Sixer
One man's too light is another man's just right. Ever put a guage on it yet? I like about 2 pounds but when I hand it to my Dad who's shot military surplus his whole life he thinks they're too light. If you weren't in Canada I'd mail you a standard trigger and spring to give a try. As i have a pair in the parts stash. I wonder if a stronger spring wouldn't make it feel more acceptable to your friend. I dont recall what the weight was on the original trigger but it being Ruger and this being a society ran by lawyers I'm sure it was plenty stiff.

TDF

langenc

Single-Sixer
Dantforth said:
The screw is supposed to add tension but he has it all the way in and still finds it way too light.

How light is too light. If I had one, and wish I did, it would be 2# or so..
If that is too light, why. You want to be able to hit something w/ it. I had a Savage 219 that had about a 7# shotgun trigger on it. VERY difficult to shot.