M77 Compact with 16inch barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Anyone here have a M77 compact or the Hawkeye Compact bolt gun with the 16inch barrel? Hopefully in .223? How's the accuracy? You like?

I have a Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08. Should have it at the range next week. Used to have a CR in .308. It shot about 1 1/2" at 100 yds. My Son still owns it and likes it. Sure are handy to carry in the woods......

I have a compact in 223 but without digging it out could not tell you the barrel length. It shoots real nice---deadly on coyotes. I like the size and weight for packing it around but ran into a major problem that I still have no solved. It is the laminated stock and with no checkering it is too darn slippery to use with wool gloves in the winter. Just can't keep a grip on it. Have thought about having it checkered but then figured maybe just a cheap aftermarket stock. Winter is gone, so not a problem on the front burner today.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I have a Hawkeye laminate compact in .223 that I'm embarrassed to say I haven't had a chance to shoot. It's got a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 scope. I can tell you that it handles like a dream (and the stock is checkered).

boaman81

Bearcat
I have one in 260 Rem. One of the most accurate rifles I own. Friends 7mm-08 shoots nice groups too.

pcgod

Bearcat
I have 2 - 243 and 308. Since I hand load, I can get consistent sub inch groups from the 243 and just a about an inch out of the 308 with my hunting loads. I would assume you would get about 1.5 inch to 2 inch groups at 100 yds with factory ammo,from what I have read from others in the past. These little guns can be a challenge to shoot well but they carry and handle extremely well in the field. If you put in a little work finding the right load they will perform.

cowboy45

Bearcat
AJGUNNER said:
I have a compact in 223 but without digging it out could not tell you the barrel length. It shoots real nice---deadly on coyotes. I like the size and weight for packing it around but ran into a major problem that I still have no solved. It is the laminated stock and with no checkering it is too darn slippery to use with wool gloves in the winter. Just can't keep a grip on it. Have thought about having it checkered but then figured maybe just a cheap aftermarket stock. Winter is gone, so not a problem on the front burner today.
Use a little skatebord tape where you grip it.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Here is my compact in 308 with a custom muzzle brake and Jard trigger. Shoots under moa with handloads.

My Hawkeye ultralight in 204 Ruger is one of my favorite rifles:

It shoots under a dime at 100 yards with handloads.

Too bad Ruger discontinued them!