Looking for info about Ruger MlI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Saiper

Bearcat
Hey

I recently became the owner of a MKII Ruger .22. Issue is, I have no idea why it has been manufactured in such a strange configuration; I should preface this by saying my knowledge of firearms is limited, so what's strange to me might not be to you experts. It's integrally suppressed. The safety is on the bottom of the mag well as apposed to the top of the grip. I've also noticed in comparison to other similar pistols, it has a black trigger as opposed to the more common silver. I've tried searching the same config, but was unable to find anything. The only one close is a spec ops version shown on the wiki page, but that is a different color.

I've attached a couple of images for you to look at. I'd greatly appreciate any information you can give me regarding what the purpose of the pistol in this config would have likely been, and / or any history about this model. For ref, the serial number is 213-4517.

20240523_180634.jpg

20240523_180607.jpg

Dan in MI

Staff member
What I see is a MK-II upper on a pre MK-II lower (standard or MK-I)

I need to think about the safety and bolt hold open with that configuration. A picture of the bolt outside the gun will answer some questions. I'd need to see the cuts on the left side.

I can post a reference pic later.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Ok, onto a big screen I can see more. As I mentioned you have a "FrankenRuger." An early frame with a MK-II upper. A parts gun if you will.

The frame is a very early A-54. This means your safety and bolt are different than the Mk-II, as well as the frame/lower. I will add some pics for you to explain. Your safety will not engage without an early bolt to match your early frame. There is a part that protrudes up into a notch on the bolt. Mk-II does not have the nub on the safety or the notch in the bolt. Your grip screw pattern is different which is the easy ID for the difference between an A-54 and A-100 frame.

To make it function (correctly, I'm sure it shoots fine now, just no safety) you would need to swap frames to a MK-II era with the external bolt stop, or at a minimum get an early bolt.

I used a Stainless MK-II so you could easily tell which is which. I'm also adding extra pics for reference info. Notice the external bolt stop on the SS frame. The little flat lever at the top left of the grip.(in the pic in the next post)

This is the nub on the safety.

CapturemkI_II.JPG

Last edited:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Sorry about some of the text confusion. I was making and finding pics as I posted. Editing with pics in place is tricky so I couldn't put some text in the correct place. (bolt stop info)

Saiper

Bearcat
I should have said the mag release rather than safety. Indeed, the safety doesn't operate as it should. I'll strip it down and add some more images. What would be the reason for such a build? Seems like a rather odd mix.

Thanks for the info:)

hittman

Staff member
The reason is some people like to tinker. Or, maybe make something sellable out of the pile of parts they had on hand?
It's not unusual.

Welcome to the forum.

Saiper

Bearcat
Possibly bit of a stupid question, but despite the mix of parts, would it still be safe enough to operate?

Dan in MI

Staff member
Short answer yes. But you should do something to make the safety functional. Old style bolt or newer complete lower.

If you were in the states it would be easy to do.

Frankenrugers are quite common. For a long time you could buy parted out lowers for dirt cheap and take off uppers from modification companies cheap. Most of the time it wold be just a reassemble and go to the range to test procedure. You could easily get into a MK series for under $200. The aftermarket companies have been flooding the market with very cheap uppers that has driven the price of lowers sky high. Now the complete lowers clear $200 for a beat up one and much higher for stainless or really good condition.

Early standards through Mk-III's are pretty much plug and play. Mk-III's need a couple changes but they are simple.

I have assembled a dozen or more myself. Stopped about 5 years ago when the prices got crazy.

No need for additional pics. Your answer and the pic tell me it has a MK-II bolt. The safety stuck 1/2 way tells me the nub is stopping it from going into position.

Last edited:

Saiper

Bearcat
I'll get the end off and post some pics. Thanks again for all the info, especially to Dan; superb knowledge:)

"I'll get the end off and post some pics."
Just a word of caution: If there are 'baffles' inside and you didn't follow the legalities, that might not be a good idea.

contender

Ruger Guru
In his post, originally,, he says it's a suppressed MK.

So, the knurled end would expose the internals. He says he's from the north east. Now,, if he's from a different COUNTRY,, and a bit north & east of the USA,, then legalities may be very different.

Either way,, it's what we call a "FrankenRuger." Built from parts, AND suppressed by appearances. And Dan's info is superb.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Thanks guys.

Saiper, I assumed you were in the UK based on the flag and time of your post. (and the non chalance (sp?)about being suppressed) If that is true, then I've gone about as far as I can beyond helping ID parts. If you are in the states let me know and I can help a little more.

Saiper

Bearcat
Apologies, I should have mentioned earlier that I am indeed in the UK, and the pistol is what we consider to be an "old spec deac"; meaning it's deactivated to a standard that prevents it from ever being used live again. This generally means that the barrel has been filled with weld to an approx depth of 3", and the firing pin has been removed, as well as a couple of other alterations; I'd be happy to show a pic of it stripped down for anyone interested in the measures we have to take over here to conform to the law. With regards to it being safe to use in this config (pre deac, obviously), I'm quite surprised that it would have worked. I had previously assumed that mixing uppers / lowers of differing age was considered to be unsafe. Once again, thanks for the information.

Last edited: