Looking for a decent red dot for 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

taphandle

Bearcat
I recently purchased a new MKIII 22/45 target and put a cheap NC Star reflex on it. After getting it sighted in, it did fairly well, took it on and off the rail a couple of times and it held zero but after about 500 rnds it came apart, screw came off spring and pin fell out, put it back together and still seemed ok.

This sight is kind of crappy in my opinion, it has 4 different dot choices 2 colors and 3 different brightness settings. Seems like a lot for $50 but you get what you pay for.

Just looking to see what folks are using that won't break the back but be of good quality with just a dot, no settings other than brightness.

Also would like to know preferences between a reflex and a tube type red dot.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
I've used the Millett SP1 with good results. Nice bright dot and clear optic for the price. They've come down even more and you can pick on up for around $60 at Midway. Wait until they issue one of their frequent discount tickets and get 10% off of that price.

R,
Bullseye

Jim Puke

Hunter
There are a bunch of good red dot sights on the market. You don't have to spend and arm and a leg to get a good one.

I'm not a scope snob but I draw the line with NC Star. I've got a TruGlow dot sight on a 22/45 that seems to work well. I don't see your need to remove/install the dot so frequently, though.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Shooting a MK II Gov't Target Model and using a Burris FF III and really like it. Sight does not have to be removed to replace the battery. Has held its zero all summer and you can adjust the brightness as needed. I believe they are available in a 3 or 8 MOA dot. So far so good.

shatolang

Bearcat
The bushnell Trs-25 is a good bang for the buck. Just put one on the gunsite scout and performs perfectly. I know i saw one mounted on a 22/45 at gander mountain one day. Ruger must offer that package? Either way nutnfancy does a good review on youtube. Sold me, especially for $99.00

null_zps4c3b0ca8.jpg

null_zps52f83c60.jpg

Burris Fastfire lll on my 22/45 with Burris Mounting Plate so it sits lower than the supplied scope rail. A little spendy but well worth it.

taphandle

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input gentlemen, very tuff choice. I didn't want to spend as much as I did but I ordered the Burris FF III 3moa dot with the picatinny mount. Just couldn't go the rest for the MKiii mount at this time but looks like a nice set up.

Thanks again.

wlkjr

Bearcat
I put a TruGlo on mine but can't get it adjusted far enough to the right. I have some more work to do on it until I'm satisfied. Works great on the M&P 15-22.

While I've always been curious about a reflex-style, I've only used tube-style red dot sights.

I've had very good service from a pair of Ultra Dot tube-style sights that I've had for many years.

They're fairly reasonable, and enjoy a good reputation. They have a lifetime warranty, and a "Refurbish Kit" is available for a reasonable price. It has fresh O-rings, battery cover, etc. (In the unlikely event a guy would ever "Bubba" up a screw slot on his sight... :p )

Here's where I normally trot out my old favorite quote about Ultra Dot sights. I see it's since been revised, but the gist of it is the same. "On a positive note, in this game of bullseye shooting, I have seen more military shooters over the past 15 years at all of the big matches using the basic UltraDot model than any other sight - and without question, these guys are truly the pros of the sport." http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

$155 at Larry's Guns. Might be better deals elsewhere. http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-1-Black__UD1B.aspx

Come to think of it, Ultra Dot has offered a reflex-style sight for a number of years, as well.

Happy shopping!