Light Primer Strikes Too!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently ran into an issue with my 1976 vintage .45. It is an interesting gun- after receiving it I disassembled it and from the condition of the screws and how tight they were I doubt it had ever been disassembled.

Now for the interesting part. I was going to install a Bisley grip frame. I pulled out a Bisley hammer and went to swap the spring/pin/plunger assembly. Well, the original plunger was noticeably shorter than a new one in my parts bin. So, I went ahead and used a new one, and a Bisley trigger. On my first trip to the range, the first shot fired, followed by 5 light primer strikes. Couldn't get it to ignite a primer after that. It looked like the firing pin wasn't protruding adequately.

Back at my bench, I decided to return it back to somewhat original configuration. But I used a nicer used trigger and hammer out of a newer Blackhawk. Still had inadequate firing pin protrusion. Hmm- maybe the transfer bar is too thin or the hammer nose too thick. I put a factory new transfer bar in- even worse! What the heck!

So, I compared both transfer bars and the original was a couple thousandths thinner, but it was angled differently! The old transfer bar would lay flat in the channel, while the newer one would "sit up" a bit at the top, effectively reducing the firing pin protrusion.

OK, I'm thoroughly confused and feeling stupid. It wouldn't fire as purchased. Wouldn't fire with all new guts. What gives! Maybe that's why I got it for a steal on GB

So, I put it all back together with the original parts. But, for some reason I used the new longer hammer plunger (factory new). Well, then it wouldn't cock. Hmmm. Back in with the shorter plunger. I also dressed down the hammer nose a bit. Success! No more light strikes, 100% reliability. I still have no idea why I got one shot and then nothing to begin with. I did check the firing pin for damage- it's good. I also sprayed out the firing pin with pressurized cleaner, so I doubt there's anything floating around in there.

Any ideas? This gun will eventually be a Bisley, so I'm going to have to figure it out. The two things I find strange are the shorter hammer plunger (It looks factory, not home made), and stranger still, the angle on the transfer bar. I thought new model was new model. Are there different fitments for different years?

Last edited:

Hoofnit

Bearcat
At the top of the hammer is a step, right below that is a "pad" that hits the transfer bar when the trigger is pulled back. Once in a while some material needs to be removed from the hammer there at the top to correct firing pin protrusion which should be .050-.060, that's the simple version...this happens often when installing a super blackhawk hammer in a blackhawk ...

At the top of the hammer is a step, right below that is a "pad" that hits the transfer bar when the trigger is pulled back. Once in a while some material needs to be removed from the hammer there at the top to correct firing pin protrusion which should be .050-.060, that's the simple version...this happens often when installing a super blackhawk hammer in a blackhawk ...
I ended up doing just that. But it was the factory hammer that I needed to file. What got me was the angle of the transfer bar boing different. I'll take a pic next time I have it apart.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The two things I find strange are the shorter hammer plunger (It looks factory, not home made),
Addressing the question of length on the hammer plunger.
It's purpose in life is to activate the cylinder bolt/lock and has nothing to do with light strikes or transfer bar hits.
Different lengths of the plungers extended part can used to control timing of the bolt popping out to lock the cyl.
By varying length, it can be made to pop out in the lead like a properly timed Colt

Dummy

Bearcat
all rounds primed alike? Before I started performing surgery I might switch ammo. You didn't mention source, primers or seating suspect? Probably not germane in your case, just a thought. Had similar experience w/ commercial 25-06 one time. Fired on second strike.

Last edited:
Yes. I think the issue is caused by some home-brew action work. I will be replacing all internals once the new grip frame shows up.

The light strike rounds fired just fine in my Vaquero…and now that I took a hair off the top of the hammer this one is 100% too.