Lead Away cloth(s)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
A friend gave me some lead remover cloth. This one is from Birchwood Casey and there is another product called "Lead-Away". I realize that they shouldn't be used on blued surfaces nor on CCH surfaces. I've been amazed at how they clean off the burn marks on the front of a stainless steel cylinder (not that I really care about removing such marks); also equally amazing to me is how they can remove lead deposits from inside the chambers. Can anyone tell me: 1) can these cloths damage anything with that level of cleaning power; 2) can they be safely used to remove lead build-up from chambers and barrels; 3) what chemicals (for lack of a better word) is infused into these cloths to make them work so well? THANKS, J

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use them occasionally on stainless steel revolvers to remove powder stains from all over the gun. They work well under the top strap and around the barrel end and on the front of the cylinder. I have also cut patches and used them to clean the bore and chambers on stainless revolvers. I am sure they are mildly abrasive so I don't use them all the time. The chemicals can be a little harsh to fingertips. I always use gun solvent to wash the areas that I scrub with them and wash my hands thoroughly when done.

Here is the MSDS for the Birchwood Casey cloth.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/getattachment/e4b76bd1-e1c0-4dfe-8745-f6b3eca5ea26/Lead-Remover-and-Polishing-Cloth-6-x-9.aspx
Notice it has aluminum silicate (polishing sand) and ammonium hydroxide (ammonia in water)

Definitely do not use this product on brass or copper as ammonia can cause deterioration of the metal over time.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I use them to melt away the lead smears that can/do get on steel/iron bullet molds.
I clamp a penny in the jaws of a needle nose vice-grip and use the penny to rub the lead away cloth on the molds surface. I never put away a mold that has lead smears left on it. That way they are allways ready to go for next time.
Like jimbo, I have also used lead away to clean up stainless guns with good results. I am sure the chemical is a trade secret but very likely a common chemical.

Johnnu2

Hunter
THANK YOU ....appreciate the input. Will definitely check out that MSDS.
J