LCR Just Broke-Bummer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I think you may have created your own problem. You can't stage this trigger. Once you fire your gun let the trigger go all the way forward before pulling it again.

Gaming the trigger system doesn't work on this gun! But you may have a problem since you said that the trigger was starting to get smoother. There is nothing in the mechanism to smooth out. The trigger runs on a cam system.

SASS is a Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) society, Single Action Shooting Society

DPris

Buckeye
The trigger on the LCR is not a design flaw, it's just a feature of a double-action revolver. It's not an auto-pistol, and it has to be treated as it comes.
Give it a full re-set, and get on with your shooting.

As far as breakage goes, with 2000 rounds fired on an endurance test on a sample here it's plugging along just fine.

Denis

mickeyboat

Bearcat
Hadn't heard back from Ruger yet so called them today. Gun has been repaired but since it had so many parts repaired they wanted to take it to the range and shoot it a bit before they sent it back. They said they replaced many of the internal parts including the cylinder, pawl, complete trigger assembly, firing pin, transfer bar, etc. Wow all I could see that was wrong was that tiny stud that holds the bottom of the transfer bar had sheared off.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
Well, My LCR # 1 went back on Thursday. ( it's got about 800 rounds on it )

Had it at the range, removed defensive rounds, loaded target ammo, closed the cylinder, gave it a slight rotation to lock in, sighted up, pulled the trigger, cyl rotated then latched ,then just before the hammer was due to drop, trigger locked up. Released pressure a bit, pulled again and the hammer dropped.

Ran about 100 rounds, trigger locked up a time or two part way through a cylinder though it might have been due to not fully releasing the trigger.

At home found the trigger lockup is more likely to occur on the first round after closing the cylinder. Sounds like whatever prevents the trigger from moving when the cyl is open is not resetting.

Dealer sent LCR back no charge and will take care of the return trip / paperwork. ( they really don't have to do this since the warrantee is made by Ruger and not the store. ) This is the advantage of dealing with a actual dealer at a physical store rather than over the internet where some " dealers " won't even offer a "it will get to your door in undamaged condition" warrantee then say ". . if you don't like it buy somewhere else. . ".

I don't mind paying a dollar or two more if the service is there when you needed it. Think about it, if someone is selling a item at a barely make a proffit price, are they really going to make a effort ( spend $ ) to make things right? Besides, a consumer that pays a fair price has more leverage to get the seller to make things right by making the point they payed the going rate.

LCR # 2 purchased the same Thursday, will remain unfired for a while until I see the results of # 1. I did give #2 a squeeze a few times, the trigger has stiffer return spring , but the final pull seems to be the same. I can hear distinct clicks as the trigger is released for the next shot. If I short stroke the trigger after a full pull, the trigger will pull full stroke and nothing will happen. Let it release farther until you hear the first click, pull again and it will rotate the cylinder to the next chamber but not drop the hammer. Release it to the 2nd click and it will do a full DA cycle. At no point will the trigger lock up even with a not quite far enough trigger release.

What was the fire date / serial range of anyones problem gun?

LCR #1 was factory fired 10-30-2009 540-41XXX

LCR #2 was factory fired 1-30-2010 540-57XXX

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I love Ruger revolvers and held a LCR the other day. It was amazing. Being in law enforcement I could have bough it for $399, brand new. I didn't. I have to admit I'm scared of it right now. Just think if you really needed the gun, in defense of your life, could you count on it? We are talking about a revolver locking up. A bigger deal than a jam or failure to feed in a semi. When it locks up you're done! I've never needed special instructions on pulling a trigger, especially a double action revolver. If there is some special procedure to get the thing to work then something needs to change. I'm not bashing Ruger, I love their guns. I'm sure they will figure it out but how many LCR's are out there, in pockets or nightstands, owned by people who never read about guns. No clue what's going on with this revolver. I'm glad I'm not one of them! At least right now.

DPris

Buckeye
There's no special procedure, just let the trigger reset fully before pulling it again, like any other revolver.
If something that simple is so hard to learn, then the LCR is not for you. :)
Denis

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
DPris":2b8wy0w5 said:
There's no special procedure, just let the trigger reset fully before pulling it again, like any other revolver.
If something that simple is so hard to learn, then the LCR is not for you. :)
Denis
Even pretty much says so on page 14 of the manual. ;)

mickeyboat

Bearcat
mickeyboat":39l732ma said:
Hadn't heard back from Ruger yet so called them today. Gun has been repaired but since it had so many parts repaired they wanted to take it to the range and shoot it a bit before they sent it back. They said they replaced many of the internal parts including the cylinder, pawl, complete trigger assembly, firing pin, transfer bar, etc. Wow all I could see that was wrong was that tiny stud that holds the bottom of the transfer bar had sheared off.

Well Ruger called, gun passed test firing and UPS now has it. They also replaced something called the cylinder assembly in addition to the cylinder. I assume that is everything that supports the cylinder in the frame. Looks like everything is new except the barrel, hammer, main frame and grips/grip frame.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
DPris: I was just referring to suggestion of making sure you release the trigger all the way to prevent the lock-up. I've been shooting revolvers all my life and it's pretty simple to operate a trigger. I've never had a trigger on any of my other Ruger or Smith revolvers lock up because I wasn't releasing it properly. I didn't even need the manual to tell me to do it. If the LCR is doing that, then that's a problem. A really big one if you are under the incredible stress of a gunfight or break-in in your home. I'm sure Ruger will correct the problem and eventually it will be a great gun to have. I'm just not sure that's the case right now. If releasing the trigger incorectly was the issue why were all the other parts replaced on the original posters "brand new gun". I just did a bad job of making my point and that was that it was not the trigger. Then again what do I know, I just like to shoot guns, I sure don't work on them.

DPris

Buckeye
One,
No idea why so many parts were replaced on the gun in question, aside from Ruger figuring it needed done.

I didn't mean to be derogatory, but I'm seeing the trigger "problem" mentioned on several forums, and it seems to be just a matter of full reset in most cases.
I think I've only seen one mention of a poster's gun locking up the trigger & cylinder. That'd be a concern, of course, but statistically insignificant in only one gun.

Most of these complaints about the LCR's trigger appear to be just a matter of adjustment & understanding on the part of the shooter.

All guns have their own idiosyncracies, the LCR just requires attention to the full reset. Only times in 4500 rounds through the test sample I have here where the trigger caused a glitch was when I was shooting it with gloves thick enough to interfere with reset. In other words- shooter induced, not gun induced. :) When I pay attention, it runs fine.

Denis

He's right ,short stroking the trigger was often a problem on revolvers over the years....been there, done that.................through the ranges and through the shop...............hard to tell until you see it ,but if it 'broke', too late, it's up to Ruger now.

A

Anonymous

I didn't think Ruger had a warranty. Just good customer service. I'd take whatever they gave me.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Wolverton":im0patq2 said:
I didn't think Ruger had a warranty. Just good customer service. I'd take whatever they gave me.

They have no printed warranty. It is an implied warranty. If you gun is broke they will fix it, period. This is something that Bill Ruger pushed. Had something to do with liability I think.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
DPris":9emouo3g said:
All guns have their own idiosyncracies, the LCR just requires attention to the full reset.

Yes, but there is a difference between my LCR # 1 and # 2. # 1 would sometimes jam the trigger unless my finger was removed from the trigger. At the 800 round mark the trigger would lockup on the first shot after closing the cylinder, hardly a operator issue.

# 2 has a entirely different feel, the reset is crisp and does not require removing finger from trigger. If the trigger is short stroked, the cylinder will rotate rather than locking up the trigger.

DPris":9emouo3g said:
Only times in 4500 rounds through the test sample I have here where the trigger caused a glitch was when I was shooting it with gloves thick enough to interfere with reset. In other words- shooter induced, not gun induced. :) When I pay attention, it runs fine.
Denis

Where does the test gun fit in the serial # range in my prior post?

Richbaker

Blackhawk
DPris":3j1tl129 said:
One,
No idea why so many parts were replaced on the gun in question, aside from Ruger figuring it needed done.

I didn't mean to be derogatory, but I'm seeing the trigger "problem" mentioned on several forums, and it seems to be just a matter of full reset in most cases.
I think I've only seen one mention of a poster's gun locking up the trigger & cylinder. That'd be a concern, of course, but statistically insignificant in only one gun.

Most of these complaints about the LCR's trigger appear to be just a matter of adjustment & understanding on the part of the shooter.

All guns have their own idiosyncracies, the LCR just requires attention to the full reset. Only times in 4500 rounds through the test sample I have here where the trigger caused a glitch was when I was shooting it with gloves thick enough to interfere with reset. In other words- shooter induced, not gun induced. :) When I pay attention, it runs fine.

Denis

The Sp101s are exactly the same, I had to learn to fully release the trigger on mine...

DPris

Buckeye
Want,
Any new design will go through some teething pains. Quite possible that Ruger has tweaked the LCR a bit since its introduction & between older & newer samples.

Serial number is 540-01973.

Today it finished the 5000 Black Hills +P JHPs.
No cracks, chips, dents, or missing sections. :)

Watch the trigger reset, and I'm persuaded the gun is viable.
As long as you understand what it is & match up your expectations accordingly.

Denis

DPris

Buckeye
Final accuracy testing done, using the same five loads tested for five-shot groups before the endurance run was started with the 5000 rounds of +P.
With all five, accuracy is better now.
Gun still running fine.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
And, to wrap it up, trigger pull reduced by a pound, barrel/cylinder gap increased slightly but still well within max tolerances, detectable minor frame stretching but still headspacing OK. Forcing cone still gauges OK.

Apologies to the original poster, this was not to derail the subject, but to show that not all LCRs fall apart.

Denis