LCR in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
While the 38 Special is not enough the 357 Magnum is way too much in small guns. I'd like to see the LCR offered in 9mm, and while I'm at it the introduction of a 9mm Auto Rim cartridge. The 9mm Auto Rim would be the same concept as the 45 ACP / 45 Auto Rim using thick rims, allowing half moon clips to be dispensed with in a revolver. There are already 9mm revolvers, 9mm loading data, and reloading dies. All we need is brass and a shell holder.

Cheers,
W-W

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
wild_weasel":2no10h4t said:
While the 38 Special is not enough the 357 Magnum is way too much in small guns. I'd like to see the LCR offered in 9mm, and while I'm at it the introduction of a 9mm Auto Rim cartridge. The 9mm Auto Rim would be the same concept as the 45 ACP / 45 Auto Rim using thick rims, allowing half moon clips to be dispensed with in a revolver. There are already 9mm revolvers, 9mm loading data, and reloading dies. All we need is brass and a shell holder.

Cheers,
W-W

I would buy one! Like 9mm AR concept also.
Perfect platform for a 9mm snubbie.
Terry

captainkirk

Blackhawk
It has been done already (9mm rimmed that is). Look for 9mm Federal and see what comes up. It did not last long. Rumor has it it could fit into 38 S&W chambers in old guns with bad results as the 9mm fed was as high pressure as the 9mm para.

Maybe something like the 9mm RR (Ruger Rimmed) would sell... :wink:

captainkirk

Terry T

Buckeye
I like that idea! :D

I have a S&W 940 and a SP101 in 9mm. They are just a bit heavy for 'pocket carry'. I can get two reloads in a speed loader pouch, 4 in a double pouch.

My original 'letter series' Bearcat weighs 18 oz. This would weigh in at 17 oz or less. Hmmmmm. :D

Terry T

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Not sure why you dis the 38 SPL but I would be interested in a 9mm revolver ONLY if the cylinder and framed were scaled down to exactly fit the 9mm.

TRanger

Blackhawk
For practical purposes, the 9mm Parabellum and .38 Special are so similar ballistically, I doubt anyone could differentiate between them when fired from a snubbie.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
TRanger":bq5dj6pu said:
For practical purposes, the 9mm Parabellum and .38 Special are so similar ballistically, I doubt anyone could differentiate between them when fired from a snubbie.

I'm thinking along the same lines. What can your 9mm do that my hand loaded 38's can't?

Terry T

Buckeye
It's about the full moon clips. Very fast for reloads.

9mm is a bit more efficient in a short barrel than the 38spl.

I've always been told to not use home brewed hand loads for serious social purposes - will be used against you in the ensuing lawsuits. Only factory ammo is recommended.
Terry T

bub

Single-Sixer
If Ruger can make one that doesn't need moon clips but can still eject rimless 9mm cases, I'd be all for one. Even better would be to take the concept to the next step and make LCRs in .40 S&W and .45 ACP (different frame size likely needed) that would also eject a rimless auto round. These would make KILLER backup guns for cops carrying 9mm, .40 or .45 autos. Reloads could be done out of the mag for their duty gun. If possible, moon clips should still be an option, since reloads would go MUCH QUICKER with moon clips, but they shouldn't be required for the system to work. I know I'm dreaming, but I'd buy a 9mm and .45 if they made them.

Bub

TRanger

Blackhawk
bub":2n560ahc said:
If Ruger can make one that doesn't need moon clips but can still eject rimless 9mm cases, I'd be all for one. Even better would be to take the concept to the next step and make LCRs in .40 S&W and .45 ACP (different frame size likely needed) that would also eject a rimless auto round. These would make KILLER backup guns for cops carrying 9mm, .40 or .45 autos. Reloads could be done out of the mag for their duty gun. If possible, moon clips should still be an option, since reloads would go MUCH QUICKER with moon clips, but they shouldn't be required for the system to work. I know I'm dreaming, but I'd buy a 9mm and .45 if they made them.

Bub

Smith & Wesson made such a revolver years ago for the French Police, if I remember correctly. The Model 547. Don't see them around too often.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Terry T":3tfq36q7 said:
I've always been told to not use home brewed hand loads for serious social purposes - will be used against you in the ensuing lawsuits. Only factory ammo is recommended.

Hi,

It's well past time that oft seen but apparently still poorly substantiated "recommendation" be allowed to rest.

Suggest you consult w/ your attorney for legal advice. Then load up w/ what he/she suggests is defensible. And remember, some attorneys are better than others... ;)

Rick C

mattsbox99

Hunter
I can't fathom how it would be used against you, bullets kill, that is their job. If you are being sued over a shooting, the ammo will likely not be a concern.

A 9mm LCR would be cool, but I don't think its possible to have a 9mm that can be loaded with moonclips and without. One in 38 Super is a pretty good idea, except that 38 Super is pretty close to 357 Mag anyway, and 9mm is pretty close to 38 Spl, 38 Spl+P is already a serious PD round anyway.

Rob72

Bearcat
The purpose of the Medusa and Taurus' whatevertheyrecallingit with the spring-loaded ejector star is to shoot any .355-.358 round available. .32/.38/.357/9mm/.380/9x18Mkrv etc., etc.. THAT I would buy. All stainless and shooting 90% of the availble handgun ammo on the planet, if you invested in .22LR sub-cal inserts to go with it...

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
The Federal 9mm (rimmed) could in fact be loaded in weak framed guns chambered for the 38 S&W, due to the "standard" thickness of its rim. If Federal and Charter Arms had produced a rimmed 9mm that could have take the place of standard 9mm Para in the same revolver I believe it would have met with more acceptance. However, the 9mm Auto rim I proposed would have a sufficiently thick rim to preclude loading in guns chambered for the 38 S&W. All that is required is brass and shell holder to bring it to reality. The gun ammo combo I propose would handle both the 9mm Para and 9mm Auto Rim. Besides the 9mm is the new 38 Special...

Cheers,
W-W

HiCap

Bearcat
I still have in my possession two boxes of Federal 9 mm cartridges. At one time I had a Taurus 85 in 9 mm, but unfortunately, I was using moon clips, as I hadn't gotten the Federal 9 mm.I keep the Federals as a mementoand hope that someday I'll have another gun to go with them.

HiCap

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I could would be in line for a new 9mm LCR in a minute, I love my Smith 940 and Ruger Speed six in 9mm but they are worth to much to shoot and carry or bang up and loose after a shooting. I wish someone would step up and make a quality new production run of 9mm revolvers. I am not holding my breath about the charter arms guns either.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I too have had bad experiences with Taurus and Charter Arms. Both guns fell apart after a few hundred rounds and their customer service is awful.

Cheers,

W-W

louiethelump

Buckeye
I had a 940 or two many years ago, and they worked quite well with 38 S&W factory ammo in them, and I used up all that I had shooting it in the 940. I was a light subload, and suitable only for target practice, but if someone wanted to resize the brass in a 9mm die and load 9mm bullets in it, I don't see any reason it would not work. The factory loads are of course quite light for the older and break top guns mentioned above, but the cases are actually quite sturdy. I know someone will say you cannot do this with 38 S&W, but I did a lot of it so I know you can. I found the factory 9mm ammo in the 940 to be generally unpleasant to shoot, and sticky to extract.

I had 2 947 S&W guns and had no problems with them at all. Since they were not set up for full moon clips, the 38 S&W ammo would not work, but regular 9mm was fine and the guns were enough heavier that recoil was not unpleasant.

Just some thoughts on the 9mm revolvers..........

Louie

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Winner winner chicken dinner! Looked up my original posts from 2010 wishing for the LCR 9mm, true to my word I bought one the day they became legal in California.

Cheers,
W-W