LCR crane release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

enrico

Bearcat
Hi guys,

I had my LCR for the past 2 plus years and the crane release was always very stiff (from day one) to release the cylinder when you push in, is this normal? By any chance, did any of you guys modified the spring(s) to make it less brut to push it!

Thanks in anticipation, E

hittman

Staff member
The "button" on my 357 was very stiff until I put 300 - 400 rounds through it. All is well now. The 38 Special LCR was perfect right out of the box.

enrico

Bearcat
???....so that means that if I push the latch and open the cylinder 80 times (400/5) it should get smother???

hittman

Staff member
If you know the gun is clean and it's been fired enough for a normal break-in period, I'd guess a trip back to Ruger for some of their free service would be in order.

shatolang

Bearcat
After you make sure the lcr is unloaded. Turn it upside down so the top of the gun is on the table and the grip facing in the air and look at the little flat head bolt directly underneath the crane release button. I found the one on my lcr 22lr was backing out on its own which in turn made it really hard to release the crane and made the button seem real stiff. Took the screw out, applied a touch of blue lock tight, re-installed. The button and crane were smooth and light as ever.

enrico

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip! Bummer it's a negatory... I just loosened the screw far enough and even tightened it till it stopped and still very stiff to release the crane :evil:
Up to this point I have shot easily couple of hundred rounds and meticulously cleaned it, ...:cry:
I'll see what other suggestions I might get and take it apart to see what is making it hard to push the button, this was stiff from day one!

enrico

Bearcat
OK, here is the dirt........ I looked on the web and confirmed that it's known that the crane button is a stiff one, here is the quote "I just got off the phone with Michael @ Ruger/NH. He said, "Yup, it is a lot harder to open the LCR-357 cylinder than the LCR-38. It's the steel frame"

:?