LCR .38 CCW Ammo Chrono

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boge

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a used .38 LCR and got lucky as not only was the price good, but it looks mint and shoots POA. :) I owned a .357 LCR back when they came out and it shot as well, but I sold it to someone who wanted it badly. Regardless, a friend of mine is a big USPSA competitor who has the latest state of the art LabRadar chrono (quite the piece of hardware I might add) and he let me run a few shots. I only fired six shots total as he was practicing and also I didn't think I needed to fire box after box for that matter. :roll:

I shot three Federal 130 gr. HST rds. that went 824, 851 & 794 fps.

I shot one old Double Tap 110 gr. with a Barnes SCHP that went 1,052 fps. I don't think they load this one anymore, but Corbon does.

Finally, I shot two Speer 135 gr. Gold Dots that clocked 877 & 867 fps respectively.

I think these are probably the best you can get, unless you want to shoot the brutal Buffalo Bore 158 +p SWCLHP. After seeing many YouTube scientific gel/denim tests the HST round sure looks like a winner. As a bonus it shoots dead nuts to sights on my Roscoe. :wink:

Mus408

Hunter
I have the LCR .357 Mag. and here are some of my loads I ran thru it....
Rim Rock 158 gr. SWC-HP with 6.3 gr. of Power Pistol 920-945 FPS. Also called the "FBI" load.
My LCR didn't like it much showing lead in the bore after 5 shots.

Hornady 125 gr. XTP loaded over 8.5 gr. of Unique 1100-1150 FPS

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
The Federal 130gr HST 38spl load is my choice for my lightweight Charter Arms aluminum framed snubbies... I usually carry stagered loads with the HST & LWC ...
In my LCR357 I carry Hornady 125gr FTX 357mag ... a bit snappy ...but managable