LCR .22 shooting low left

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drolen

Bearcat
So I finally bought a LCR .22 to go with my LCR .38. I take it to the range on two occassions and put a total of 500 rounds through it of whatever cheap range ammo was on the shelf. Love the gun. Love to shoot it. The problem is that I'm a constant low left to the seven o'clock POI. The groups are within a few inches at 5M and always low left. The shot group spreads out a bit a 25M enough to hit and miss a standard paper plate and still constant low left. All hit in the center if I aim at the top right of the paper plate at 25M. I do not have this problem with my LCR .38 at 5 or 25M so I'm thinking maybe it's the gun.

I'm not yet willing to rule out operator error here and was wanting some advice or tips on how to fix my POI to POA if it is me and not the gun.

Any advice that I can use next time at the range to try and figure out if it is me or the gun?

ASRuger

Single-Sixer
Shoot it off of a solid rest. Use a slow trigger pull while watching the front sight. In fact, before you even go to the range dry fire the empty gun and check to see if the front sight is dipping down and to the left when the hammer falls.

woodsy

Blackhawk
At the very least, you made the first step in remedying the situation, by asking whether it's you, or the gun.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I second the idea of shooting it off a rest.

Since the LCR 22 has a somewhat heavier trigger pull, I wonder if, trying to duplicate the exact trigger release techniques of your LCR 38, that is coming into play and the extra trigger pull may be bringing your POI down and to the left?

drolen

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and make it to the range this weekend and will try and start a few feet out and walk back to see what happens. I'll report back.

cog352

Bearcat
I had the same problem. If you look at some of the replacement sights they tell you it will shoot 4-5 inches low as compared to the 38 LCR. I had retired LEO's try it out and all had the same problem. Ruger did not take into account the change in caliber. I marked the front ramp to see how much I would have to raise it to hit the tartget bullseye. I had to remove almost all the front ramp to the "pin" in order to hit where I wanted.
Love the gun -groups great and now is better. I was a little disappointed by Rugers response when I asked about a replacement sight. Just might be better off by removing the sight totally.

ghb5107d

Bearcat
I just joined the forum after shooting my new LCR 22. I have the same problem and did not have this problem with my S&W 38 spl model 10-4. I had nice groups of shots but were consistently low. When I looked on you-tube for sight picture videos I noted that one videographer was always leaving the ramp on the front sight above the rear sight notch. And I also noticed that the special sights from Novak and Hi-Viz mentioned that they were for the LCR 38 and 357 only and that on the LCR 22 they would have a point of impact as much as 5" below the targeted point of impact. That was on the shopruger.com website. I am going to get hold of Ruger next week and see what they tell me. Meantime I guess I need to put more of the front sight ramp above the rear sight notch. My gun also has a lasermax sight. I haven't really tried it out yet. Maybe it does better and at least I can give it some adjustment. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

cog352

Bearcat
I placed a laserlyte sight on it and it shoots and groups great - dead on to bullseye.
Great little gun - love the cam spring on it. Too bad ruger did not spend enough time on the sights. Amazing they did not catch it. Too much of a hurry to rush to market.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Not sure if this will help but it is what I refer to for myself

correction_chart_logo_small_gif_zpsde297b63.jpg

mustang99

Single-Sixer
"Ruger did not take into account the change in caliber."
"Amazing they did not catch it."

Really.
But they knew that the 38/357 Novak & Hi-Viz sights would shoot 5" low........

You could have just sent the gun in to customer service so they could see what, if anything, was wrong with your 22 and fixed it.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Sounds like the gun. If you shoot the 38 to POA, this one should too. Shoot it off sand bags as suggested. And if you know someone who is a competent snubnose shooter, ask them to give it a try. My 357 LCR shot 2-4" groups at 20 yards, but always about 3-4" to the right. I sent it to Ruger and asked them to fix it. I thought they might laugh at me considering it's a self defense pistol made for 1-10 yards. It came back shooting to POA. :mrgreen:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I put the Hi Vis Fiber Optic front sight on my LCR 22 so I could pick up the front sight, Knowing it would shoot low.
This is my practice J Frame size handgun, that I use for Training/Defensive Handgun Practice.
My Combat Sight Picture is the Green Ball over the rear sight trough. It shoots to point of aim just fine on silhouettes using this sight picture. I shoot the LCR 22 in BUG Division in our Club Defensive Pistol Matches. It shoots fine to 20 yards or so.

For slow aimed fire I have to remember to hold the Green Dot even with the top of the back sight trough.

Something to try. Put some Green Sight Brite sight paint on the top 1/3 of the front sight. Try holding the Green out of the trough when sighting.

OR send it in, and see if they will fix it. It should shoot better with the factory sights than that.

Bob

ghb5107d

Bearcat
I have sent it in. They provided the freight. I should soon know whether it is me or the gun.

steelheadnw

Bearcat
I had the same problem with my lcr 22, very low and quite left. I sent it in and now it shoots point of aim at 25 yards and is well centered. Good experience with Ruger service.
james

ghb5107d

Bearcat
I rec'd the gun the end of last week. I went to the range to fire it. The note and target from Ruger said it was within factory specifications. I took both the old ammo and some new ammo with me. I fired the old ammo first. It hit low. Then I fired the new CCI hollowpoint ammo. It not only fired low, as well, but also I could not easily eject the cases. In fact I had one of the range supervisors come in and check my gun. He thought some lube might help which I tried with no effect. He then suggested I go talk to the on-site gunsmiths. They thought it might be the ammo since it appears there are bulges on the casings near the rim. I sent an email to the CCi-ammunition.com website. I got an email back saying "It sounds like the gun is firing out of battery causing unsupported case swell." I have sent them several of the casings for their investigation. Another comment made by the gunsmiths was that it appeared the firing pin was striking too far out on the rim. I looked at the casing enclosed with the new gun when purchased and see little difference in where the firing pin indentation is on that one. I am beginning to wonder if I made a smart purchase. Anyone have any other suggestions.

ghb5107d

Bearcat
The extractor problem is solved. Ruger replaced the cylinder, extractor and d-bushing. CCI mini-mags work fine now but still shooting low. I must be pulling the muzzle down when pulling the trigger.