LC9s Pro Rear Sight won't budge! HELP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JohnS3

Bearcat
I have an LC9s Pro and purchased the Tru Glo Tritium sights to perform a self install. I am not new to gunsmithing. I was able to remove & replace the front sight with absolutely no issues, however, the rear sight won't move at all! :( I used a sight pusher tool to no avail. I heated the slide, froze the sight, tried everything I know how including penetrating oil, etc., beat the he!! out of the sight with a punch, yes I really whacked it good numerous times, and nothing! (The allen screw was completely removed in the process, and I do see on old thread on this issue but regarding the non-striker version) I am completely perplexed, as I have read up on this process to ensure there isn't something I missed, and most folks' rear sight seems to move fairly easy when the allen screw is loosened for windage adjustment. What the heck am I missing? I think Ruger must have pinned it or used Oyster glue or something... I have never in my years of repairing guns had this problem...Any ideas other than sending it back to Ruger? Has anyone else had this much difficulty in removing the rear sight from an LC9s Pro? Is there a certain way to remove it (i.e., left to right or vice-versa?) Thanks for the time to reply :)

tacticalreload

Bearcat
While my experience wasn't with the rear sight or with the LC9, your story sounds like my journey to remove the front sight on my RAP. After smashing my fingers with a hammer for the third time, I gave up and cut it out with a Dremel. I assume that Ruger installs these things with an arbor press.

JohnS3

Bearcat
thanks Tactical Reload...I am thinking to soak it in tranny fluid to help break down any Loctite they may have used, put it in the freezer overnight, and try again. if that doesn't work, out comes the dremel!

tacticalreload

Bearcat
The heat should have freed up any Loctite... however, I didn't see any on the ridiculously tight sight on my RAP. I'm pretty sure that the sights are often big for the dovetail and then pressed in hard. If they use a standard Novak cut on the RAP, the size of the sight bases that I measured after removing them were considerably smaller than what a Novak cut should start out as... which leads me to believe that they are bit undersized dovetails.

JohnS3

Bearcat
I agree. And I also agree with you that they may have pressed them in regardless of actually trying to fit them...

s4s4u

Hunter
If the 's' model is like the old LC9 you shouldn't remove the set screw. Only loosen it about 1/4 turn.

JohnS3

Bearcat
S4S4U, No it's the LC9s which does not hold any components in the slide... I got lucky this morning! Last night I put a few drops of transmission fluid in the screw hole and around the sight edges, then I placed it in the freezer over night. I was able to get it loose and punch it out! YAY! I cleaned up the dovetail and inserted the new TruGlo sight without any issues, even though it is somewhat tight (I had to use the sight tool to install it.). Wow, what a PITA!!! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue...

Latest posts