last noob 9mm question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Ok my lyman 48 doesnt help me. Using unique and 115gr plated rn Im going with jacketed hp 115gr middle charge powder or the 120 gr lead rn powder weight but their oal is 1.05 one is like .905 or somthing ...Winchester white box is 1.15x on avg ...does oal differ with powder weughts? If 1.15 is perfect in my guns should I do that or should I do like lyman says and set oal to .1 less than winchester

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Like with the amount of powder it tells me to use would it hurt to use the 1.15 like winchesters or is the 1.05 fine I dont want them too small just didnt know if there was a reason the oal was smaller with that charge I don't want to seat them higher if they need to be lower with that charge

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Sierra 6th data:

115gr FMJRN COAL 1.100"
Unique: 4.9gr 1000fps, 5.2gr 1050 fps . . . max 6.6gr 1250 fps.

If my experience with Berrys PRN and Hornady's FMJRN applies, the velocity will be close enough for government work as long as you stay away from max.

If you're picking just one load "to go with", I'd suggest 5.2gr and yes, COAL 1.100. Make a dummy, make sure it will feed properly. Or, go with 1.15 if you don't want to test anything.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I just made a 1.102 dummy ...never thought thought to try and chamber it. Complete noob to reload theres alot of thinking involved! I have the disk hitting 4.6 my book for jacketed hp said 4.4 -5.6 so I fig for plated id make 2-3 4.6, and 5.0 and go try shooting them

erreertt

Single-Sixer
When berrys says low mid jacketed range do they mean jacketed or fmj? My book shows fmj rn and jacketed hp

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
If you are using Lee disks, do not trust the disk to throw what Lee says it will without weighing what it actually throws and keep changing disks until you get close to your target load(s).

To keep this simple, they don't want you running plated bullets (same with lead) too fast, so they say use lead data or min to mid point jacketed.

Do not bother with 2.3gr please, it's a waste of time. 5.2gr is likely to feel right to you, so if you want to test, try 4.9, 5.2, 5.5gr and compare them to what you remember of factory recoil and ejection.

And it's pretty clear you should read a bit more about reloading - it'll help keep you safe and happy.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
I meant quantity of rounds 2-3 .I made 5 at 4.6 and 3 at 5.2... I know I do ive been reading alot on internet but I have a pdf lymans 48 version and the table of contents in the book its self sucks and is off 2-4 pages and doesnt show many topics that go for my loading just talking about history and random stuff im going to find a paper copy of a different title hopefully find sonething pistol specific

erreertt

Single-Sixer
And yeah i checked the weight 6 different times to make sure the disk was full the .61 was dead on 4.6 after my 2nd pull and stayed I hand powdered the 5.2s

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Ill have to shoot some more factory the 5.2 felt too strong im thinking 4.8 maybe 5

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
erreertt said:
When berrys says low mid jacketed range do they mean jacketed or fmj? My book shows fmj rn and jacketed hp
Either one. What they mean is mid-range (half way between start and max.) for jacketed bullets, soft points, hollow points or FMJ bullets.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
4.4-5.8 is what it shows..... 4.6 cycled fine I think ill move to 5.0 so I can shoot through sr9 and a cannik 55 tp9... may be wrong but I would think a fullsize needs more to move the slide back then my lc9 I may be wrong though.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
erreertt said:
4.4-5.8 is what it shows..... 4.6 cycled fine I think ill move to 5.0 so I can shoot through sr9 and a cannik 55 tp9... may be wrong but I would think a fullsize needs more to move the slide back then my lc9 I may be wrong though.
What works in one gun should work in the other gun. Find a load that works both actions and go maybe 0.2gr more on the powder just for reliability. That will be the load that is easiest on your guns. You may want to experiment within the min and max loads for a more accurate load but personally I would go with what is easy on the guns. :D

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
erreertt said:

Doesn't really matter. They're just comparing cast or cast/plated to jacketed as far as velocity potential without leading problems for the cast/plated bullet. They're saying you can push the plated bullet to mid-velocity jacketed bullet load levels w/o having problems with barrel leading.