Large pistol magnum primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fla Trooper 265

Bearcat
Due to the primer shortage can I substitute magnum primers for regular primers for unique loads in my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. I will be using 9.0 grains of powder under a 200 or 250 grain swc.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
You can.... But you should back off the powder and work up to it. Make sure you have very good crimps so the magnum primer doesn't get the bullet moving forward before the powder ignites.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
As above answer, the internal ballistics will change. Careful. A magnum primer , only, can drive a bullet out of the barrel, depending on length, type of bullet, etc.

Regards

Rclark

Hunter
Yes you can. Unique has no problem with the Magnum primer. Although I prefer the standard, I'll shoot with Magnum if needed.

Example (.45 Colt, 5 1/2" barrel Ruger BH):

8.5g Unique, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 977fps 56 ES, 15 shots
8.5g Unique, 255g SWC, CCI-350, 985fps 82 ES, 15 shots

I doubt a mag primer would be a safety issue. If I were to do it I would not give it a second thought!
I do not believe a Primer would raise pressure levels to a point where it would be a concern! YMMV just my opinion! ps

olskool

Bearcat
sure. i wouldn't worry about going through a process of working up a load. the black hawk is a strong revolver and the little pressure increase is not enough to sweat over,,,,,,,,,,,,