Laminated Stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cws0008

Bearcat
I'm considering purchasing another rifle and wanted to know the merits and/or drawbacks of a laminated stock. Appreciate & value your opinions. thanks,

Snake45

Hawkeye
Black Frog":25oe6xpg said:
more stable and less prone to weather/humidity effects

heavier
True. Also, possibly less expensive than a single piece of walnut, though probably more expensive than plastic.

Cosmetically, I've seen very, very few laminated stocks that were as nice looking as even a plain grade of walnut, but this is a subjective matter. Some people really like the "party" colors available in a laminate.

fyimo

Bearcat
Like was said above they are more resistent to weather changes and they are storger then regular walnut stocks. I think some of them are pretty especially the more traditional brown and tan ones. They do make them in a lot of different color combinations. I think they really look good with stainless steel barreled actions.

QB

Single-Sixer
A couple of poor pictures of my laminate stocks...........

M77 MKII .223 Compact
M77MKIIa.jpg

A couple of 10/22s (black lam and purple lam)
Ruger10223x6.jpg

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
My thing with laminates vs. a synthetic is the extra weight to help reduce recoil in some of my harder kicking calibers. I have a 350 Rem. Mag. that kicked the snot out of me and I put a laminated stock on and it is 10x better now. It changed the whole balance of the gun for the better.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The only laminated stocks I have are a Charger and a 77/22 .22LR. I like them, but I prefer the walnut, especially since Ruger seems to have above average Walnut anyway.

cws0008

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. Weight seems to be an distinct advantage over synthetic. Presumably they're more resilient and take a beating better than the traditional walnut stocks as well.