KP95: Great, so far!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
My new KP95 has been a delight. I have a mere 150 rounds -- a mix of JHP and ball of various brands -- downrange so far, with no jams of any kind. It's accurate, and recoil is mild. I chose the '95 because I wanted a "service" 9mm and don't want a striker-fired pistol.

Some advantages of the P95, as I see things:
* Widely available and from a company that supports its products
* Outside hammer
* DA/SA action with pretty good DA trigger
* Stainless slide and polymer grip make for a nearly rust-proof outer finish
* Stainless barrel and internal parts
* Conventional rifling allows use of lead bullets
* Decent sights
* Reputation for long-term reliability
* No mag safety
* No loaded chamber indicator
* No key lock
* 15-rd mags, with larger cap mags available at low cost (Mec-Gar)

Mated with a Kholster IWB holster and a Galati Gear pouch for the spare mag, I've been able to carry this pistol under a light fleece vest with little fuss. What's not to like?

Carry ammo is Winchester PDX1 9mm+P. I've been pleased with its accuracy from the P95.

Photo with Kholster and pouch:
http://api.photoshop.com/v1.0/accounts/70f7cd42f7da41fdb31eb5e75d48812a/assets/52e80005e96842d3b222e885941103ea

All my best,
Dirty Bob

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
The only thing not to like is the Trigger and the sights.
I have had 3 of them, every one of them shot high and
in single action shooting the trigger felt gritty on all of them.
Every trigger felt exactly the same, Grit, smooth, Grit, Fire!

And not one of my P93's trigger has ever felt like that. The 93's are all very smooth in SA.

I wanted to love the 95 and could not. If Ruger would just smooth out that SA pull I would have a few of them still.

wingman

Single-Sixer
My P95 has a great trigger. It just feels good in my hand and shoots accurately. I don't carry it though its too big and heavy. I carry my SR9c now that the weather is turning colder and I carried my LCP when it was warmer. All great Ruger guns.

Jay1958

Bearcat
I have owned two P95DCs in the past and both were fantastic guns. They were well suited to carry for my purposes, I'm not a mouse gun fan. I carry a fullsize steel CZ75BD 9mm at times, so the P95DC was smaller and lighter than that!

Both mine shot to POA. When I started out in IDPA, my carry/competition pistol was a P95DC and I qualified Sharpshooter out of the gate with it, on my first classifier, with no competition experience. I stuck with it thru my first major IDPA match, and it was a lot more accurate than I was, and served me well.

The only issue for me with the trigger was creep (take up), but I adjusted to that fairly quickly and easily. It wasn't a big deal.

You can buy a better 9mm, and you can buy a less expensive 9mm, but I'd be very surprised if you can find a better, less expensive 9mm! If you do, please tell me what it is.

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
Thank you for the replies! I'm very pleased with this pistol. It may not be smallest or the lightest 9mm, but I can shoot it better than I can the tiny subcompacts.

And here's a photo with a target. After 4 shots, I didn't want to press my luck, especially at the price of premium ammo.

http://api.photoshop.com/v1.0/accounts/70f7cd42f7da41fdb31eb5e75d48812a/assets/3d6c0b372bee4defbd90bd537c71fa25

The P95 is clearly more accurate than I am. My furthest distance so far with the Ruger has been 15 yards, but I'm certain a better shot than myself could do very well out to over 25 yards.

I've been going out with both the P95 and a 22/45 with the short, tapered barrel. The .22 is helping my shooting, but I also need practice in holding the P95 consistently and applying smooth pressure to the trigger. I'm also getting used to the DA trigger. I tried a DA-only target at 7 yards, decocking in between shots. It wasn't as good as this target, but it wasn't completely embarrassing, either.

Good pistol. I think it's more accurate than most shooters. I know there are better triggers, but the P95 trigger isn't all that bad. I'm getting used to it. At least it isn't a long/heavy trigger. I don't mind the long takeup, because that places the SA trigger close enough -- for me -- to the position of the DA trigger. Some pistols put the SA trigger in the back of the trigger guard. I find this slows me down a lot between the first and second shot. I shoot revolvers and DAO pistols a fair amount and the P95 throws me off less than pistols with "better" SA triggers.

Regards,
Dirty Bob