KMK678GCNRSB/ABN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This came today. Model 0147 from 1994. Seems to have been fired very little. It's mostly the same as catalog number KMK678GC model 0186 except it came from the factory with plastic grips and without a scope base or rings.

Does anyone know if these came with one magazine or two? This one had two when I got it but neither were correct to the pistol.

qlaFUCal.jpg

Last edited:
yes the early ones had the case with only ONE "mag" cutout same as the last of the yellow/black paper boxes,,,then soon after they added the second mag cutout and the guns came with drilled and tapped for the scope, I seen them BOTH ways with the "scope base and rings" or NOT, and even a reversed plastic case the gun went the other way and had a deeper notch for the frame with thumb rest grips on the right side panel....as often said the only way to know for certain is when the gun is "complete" both the case ( box) and the cardboard shipper,,,tells it ALL.......tough to try and memorize the RENE guide for ALL the models......:cool::rolleyes:;)

...in fact you posted a pic of one the the "target grip" cases in another post of yours.......https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/different-mark.305096/

note it has the "single mag" cutout.......AND the thumbrest cutout rright or left handed grips.....

Last edited:
I wouldn't have expected the box to indicate the number of mags provided. I would have guessed that Ruger would have used whatever cases were available at the time rather than a specific case for this model. Was wondering if anyone had maybe seen a NIB version. Since this was a cost cutting model I thought that maybe they only shipped it with one magazine.

Apologies rugerguy. Sometimes the obvious isn't initially obvious to everyone, like me. Since firearms are normally shipped without a magazine in the firearm, if there is only one place for a magazine in the packaging then it probably only came with one magazine. Got it! :oops:

I'm going to have to think a little more on the grip notch.

No apologies needed, I too often see most of the gun companies note on their shipping labels "how many mags" come with their guns.....My wife had said to look at the 'newer' MK III cases and they not only have two cutouts but the elongated "dogleg" for the extended piece up front and on the bottom of each mag..........

Attachments

• Mk III 5.5 inch.JPG
    Mk III 5.5 inch.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 51

kean57

Single-Sixer
Apologies rugerguy. Sometimes the obvious isn't initially obvious to everyone, like me. Since firearms are normally shipped without a magazine in the firearm, if there is only one place for a magazine in the packaging then it probably only came with one magazine. Got it! :oops:

I'm going to have to think a little more on the grip notch.
Actually, for Ruger Mark II pistols, they always came with two magazines: one in the pistol, and one in the slot in the plastic case for a magazine. I also have a few older Mark IIS that came in the yellow and black cardboard box; they always came with one magazine in the pistol and one additional magazine, also.

Gee, when we had our shop in the early 80s ALL the yellow/black Mk II boxes the guns came with ONE mag??? guess we got cheated for a while, so where were they????

I know later on in following years when we sold "used" ones WE always put a spare mag in them to "make the sale" to compare with the newer ,later grey case models, and the two slotted ones BOTH mags were in their prospective slots, maybe the distributors switched things around....oh well that was 40 years ago and I:m still waiting for snow to fall here in Chardon.........:rolleyes:;)

kean57

Single-Sixer
This came today. Model 0147 from 1994. Seems to have been fired very little. It's mostly the same as catalog number KMK678GC model 0186 except it came from the factory with plastic grips and without a scope base or rings.

Does anyone know if these came with one magazine or two? This one had two when I got it but neither were correct to the pistol.

qlaFUCal.jpg
Actually, the correct designation for the exact model you have is KMK678GCABN; it was a non-cataloged variation on the regular KMK678GC. It shipped from the Factory with laminated thumbrest grips. The only change from the standard model was that it did not come with a Ruger base and scope rings. So at some point, the thumbrest grips were removed and replaced by the plastic grips. It originally came with two magazines.

kean57

Single-Sixer
Ruger KMK678GCABN:

Attachments

• 10769523_03_ruger_22_mark_ii_special_order_640.jpg
    10769523_03_ruger_22_mark_ii_special_order_640.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 10769523_02_ruger_22_mark_ii_special_order_640.jpg
    10769523_02_ruger_22_mark_ii_special_order_640.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 61

kean57

Single-Sixer
What year was the pistol in the picture shipped?
That pistol was shipped in 1998, with the same model number (0147). I will make a correction to my earlier posts. The 0147s that shipped in 1994, for a different distributor in Ohio, shipped with plastic grips, not laminated target grips. Why did Ruger use the same model number, for guns made for different distributors 4 years apart? They both shipped without a Ruger scope base and rings, and were therefore a "cheaper" option than the standard Competition Target Model.

Your question is both intriguing and most likely, unanswerable. Ruger did a similar thing with the MK4B. Some have smooth wood laminated target grips and some have plastic grips but all are model number 0139.

I was not aware that the 1998 versions have laminated target grips. I just assumed that they had been changed at some point.

kean57

Single-Sixer
Your logic makes perfect sense. I was aware of the grip differences in different versions of the MK4B, but somehow missed that they all used the same model number. Two similar "budget" versions of the 0186, differing only in grips, could both be assigned the same model designation by the factory. That would mean that the main significance of the model designation "0147" would be that this model shipped without a scope base and rings...regardless of what grips it shipped with.

Dan in MI

Staff member
While I don't collect MK's I do dabble in Bear archery bows. I can clearly see trying to do so is a headache for both.

Bear kept poor records from the start. X change was specifically for Y year.... except when they did Z. Much like Ruger's indifference.

Your logic makes perfect sense. I was aware of the grip differences in different versions of the MK4B, but somehow missed that they all used the same model number. Two similar "budget" versions of the 0186, differing only in grips, could both be assigned the same model designation by the factory. That would mean that the main significance of the model designation "0147" would be that this model shipped without a scope base and rings...regardless of what grips it shipped with.
Except in the case of the 0147 they used different catalog numbers but didn't with the 0139. Go figure?

kean57

Single-Sixer
What does the ABN mean?
It designated a KMK678GC that shipped from the factory without a Ruger scope base or rings, and was therefor a non-cataloged variant.
Whether the letters "ABN" in the suffix stood for a particular distributor, that would be a logical guess...but I do not know the particular distributor. There were two runs of this variant, in 1994, and in 1998, apparently for two different distributors. The model number was 0147.
"ABN" MAY stand for ABN Sports Supply Inc., based in Mansfield, Ohio.

Last edited: