Kiss---Love them or can't stand them---

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I lean more towards bands with musicians. I don't like KISS for the same reason I don't like Justin Timberlake, BTS, and Dr. Dre.

They're not musicians, they're performers.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
What's not to like? It's not always about the music.
Can't stand Ted Nugent's music, but I absolutely love and respect the man for defending our way of life as only he can.

hpman66

Hunter
Just thought I would give this thread/post a bump for Memorial Day 2021. I was never into Kiss's music, but after watching the video links and reading the article on the dad, I have some interest/respect for the group that I never had before.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
I wasn't a HUGE fan, but I did buy their first album back in the day.

Gene Simmons MIGHT be responsible for raising millions of dollars for charities. On the first season of Celebrity Apprentice, possibly the very first episode, the task was for the teams to set up two hot dog stands in Times Square (or someplace in NYC) and sell hot dogs. The teams could market them any way they wanted, and set their own prices. The team that raised the most money (which went to charity) would be the winner. Nothing was ever said about shaking down or hitting up the celebrities' friends for big donations, just selling hot dogs to passersby.

Gene wasted no time making signs or writing slogans or anything of that nature. He got on the phone and called a friend who lived in the city: "What are you doing for lunch tomorrow? How'd you like to come downtown and buy a hot dog from me for five thousand dollars?" And the guy did! That became the template for most episodes from that point on--the celebs were expected to bring in big donors and big donations for most tasks. Millions of dollars were raised this way for various charities.

He's a patriot and a smart and kind man and I like him. :wink:

tinman

Buckeye
When I was in the Army I did a summer teaching at West Point for a couple of months. For that tour we were billeted at the (then) Stewart Army Airfield which (at that time) was only occasionally used for NG training, so was mostly empty buildings. One evening we heard some nearby music.....turned out to be KISS practicing inside one of the seldom used aircraft hangers. Story told to me by the MP's was that the band regularly rented these spaces to practice their entire shows, pyrotechnics and all. We could not go inside but were allowed to sit on the surrounding lawns and small hills to listen, and we did have some limited visibility thru some of the windows to see the fireworks and lights flashing. West Point is an awesome place to visit and the surrounding countryside is spectacular. But the guys with KISS made that memorable duty into something even more special.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Never thought much of them, or their music. Since they stand up for America, and our values——they are A-OK in my book!
gramps

Hi,

gramps, I've heard Gene Simmons in a number of interviews over the years, the guy I sometimes jokingly refer to as my favorite Israeli boy made good. Actually, far more than good: over and above the mega-millions they've made, Gene's one of the most pro-American guys you're ever gonna hear. In fact, if you put Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons in a room together, you might be hard pressed to try and figure which of the two is more "American!" I'm neither here nor there with their music, but their beliefs and attidude can't be beat in my book...

Rick C

Kanook

Buckeye
The last time that I saw them, it was Midnight Oil, Ted Nugent, and Kiss. My wife and I were given a couple of tickets for box seats. I had a job that let me work all I could and didn't complain that I was 14plus hours a day.
We went to the concert, I twisted a beer open and sat down to watch the show. My wife woke me after the concert ended. Guess I was tired.

Wow---I was surprised to see this back at the top. Hopefully if you missed it the first time around you caught it this time. If you did not take a look at the second link in my original post, please take a minute to do so. Really a pretty interesting twist of faith.

83mvp

Bearcat
Interesting topic. I've seen them several times over the years and grew up in the 70's listening to their music. Now that I have kids (and grandkids), I took my kids to see them a couple of times on their tours about 8 or 10 years ago just to show them how dad used to rock and roll. I'm happy to say that my kids have been KISS fans ever since and enjoy their music still. My kids (now 34, 28 and 20) loved every minute of the concerts and we still look back on those nights with great memories.

Whether you like their music or not, their showmanship and concerts were second to none. You definitely got your money's worth. And as has been said, they love the red white and blue. That makes them outstanding in my book.