JM Marlin Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I really want a JM stamped 1895. Either the GS or the STP. I already have a blued Henry 45-70 and like it, but I've always wanted a stainless 1895 for my collection. And it would be used a lot, like all of my firearms.

The question is, what are these things going for? I've been perusing GunBroker and have ran across several, but they have varying prices. I don't mind paying a premium for a NIB or used one in very good condition, as I take very good care of my guns although I use them.

Here's an example of a nice one, but the price seems steep. Thoughts?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/661310389

pete44ru

Hunter

The value is how much $$ someone is actually willing to pay for one, TODAY (not whenever) -which means that only recently "sold" auction prices should be searched out, and not the "opening bid", "Buy-it-now" (BIN), etc, dollar amounts (which are merely what each particular wants to, or think they can, get for one).

The "sold" guns should be in a "condition" (as compared to new) that is commensurate with what you're willing to spend.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Stonewall, used Marlin prices vary a lot. In my opinion, the best way to buy one at a fair price is to join the Marlin Owners Forum, and find one at the Trading Post there. MO Forum is an excellent forum, and the classifieds section is extremely well run, and is known for being a great place to buy and sell guns.

I bought one of my Marlin rifles from a member there (who had actually bought it from a member there), and I am very happy with the rifle, as well as the transaction.

Local shop has a JM marked 1895SS. This is the blue 22" model. Think they have it marked at $595.00, which is a good price for a "JM" one. It has a cheap scope in see thru mounts and was in very nice condition.

gunzo

Hunter
Gunbroker has an advanced search section. It allows you to look at items that have actually sold, & what they brought, instead of what some dreamer is asking.
Try that.

Now, I follow guide gun prices because I have one that's collecting dust. Seems mint blued ones are in the 650-$700 range, stainless guides, 50 -100 more. (JM stamped)

That STP you linked? Don't think I've ever seen a Marlin that high, ever. Notice its been relisted. Wonder how many times?

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Think it is way over priced, you can get a Turnbull one for $1,300 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650416861
(Don't know if this is a JM pre Remlin one)

But the listing price seems way too high. Have picked up several JM Marlins and they were in the 550 to 650 range, but that was about 3-4 years ago. They have gone up since then, but not that much!

Can see why its a relisting.

Claimed lightly used one for $829 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/659475064

2nd one: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657567266

NIB: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/660270909 $1,195 buy now

Now not certain on the model code designation you are looking for, but they are out there for a lot less it seems and just trying to help out.

I'm partial to the old cowboy model with the longer octagon barrel and the checkering. This was not as popular as the newer ones with the shorter barrels and the uncheckered stocks.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
StonewallRuger said:
I really want a JM stamped 1895. Either the GS or the STP. I already have a blued Henry 45-70 and like it, but I've always wanted a stainless 1895 for my collection. And it would be used a lot, like all of my firearms.

The question is, what are these things going for? I've been perusing GunBroker and have ran across several, but they have varying prices. I don't mind paying a premium for a NIB or used one in very good condition, as I take very good care of my guns although I use them.

Here's an example of a nice one, but the price seems steep. Thoughts?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/661310389
This particular model is a 1 of 500 run for Lipseys I believe. One of the resons for the big price. That said, I sold a new in box unfired Jm limited edition that was an 18 inch octogon for $1800. a year or so ago. So, people are setting a high mark for these, remember, marlin is dead. These models will never be made by marlin again. A remlin is not a marlin, just like a post 64 is not a pre 64 winchester.

cas6969

Buckeye
Marlin prices are a joke. Every seller now thinks their "JM" Marlin is made of gold. Pre Remington guns are now somehow a rare commodity. Of course in reality, something like 98% of all the Marlins ever made are pre Remington. :D

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Personally, I'd avoid only the last years of Marlin New Haven production.

I have read many on-line posts about the deteriorating quality of Marline leverguns toward the end of regular production (with the "JM-oval" stamp). Like most businesses, when the writing is on the wall so-to-speak, lots of garbage gets shipped out the door that would have never passed in years prior? What do you think?

IRL I suspect most marlin leverguns don't even get "broken in" and have very low round counts before being doomed to the back of the closet. So temper the user-reporting you read with that factor if you want.

I seriously doubt any of the Remington "transition" employees were out to build inferior guns. There was no "conspiracy" there and I think there are some who haven't taken the time to consider that. If not for Remington there would be no Marlin today
And the number of buyers of NEW Marlins of course, determine the future of the brand. (as always) ;)

To answer the OP, I found this from a member of Glocktalk.com :
Cerberus announced it would acquire Marlin in December 2007 in a deal scheduled to close in January 2008.
Following completion of the deal, new management started implementing manufacturing process changes, including elimination of some quality inspections, in order to increase production. By 2009, the Marlin ways were quickly being displaced by Remington's 'modern' business and manufacturing practices.
Cerberus announced in March 2010 it would close the North Haven, Ct plant and move Marlin production to Ilion, NY. Production in North Haven ceased around April 2011.
I understand quality issues associated with the new operation began showing up late in 2009. I suspect problems intensified when closure of the North Haven plant was announced, and quality bottomed out during and after the transition of production to Ilion, NY.
My current personal benchmark for choosing a Marlin is a manufacturing year of 2008 or earlier. Process changes, morale problems and other issues that undermined stability of Marlin manufacturing after 2008 make rifles built post-2008 less likely to reflect traditional workmanship, in my opinion. I do own several 2009 Marlins, and these rifles are highly satisfactory in fit, finish and functionality.