I've been attacked by the t-shirt gremlins

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harley08

Blackhawk
The other day my wife berated me, again, and said I should get rid of the old t-shirt that I was wearing. She pointed out that this motorcycle related shirt had obvious holes, many of them, right at where the shirt was over my belt buckle. Pretty much year round I wear jeans and a t-shirt, untucked as my daily outfit, and I have probably about 75 different t-shirts in my dresser. My wife thinks that the problem is that the belt buckle is wearing those holes in the shirts, and I say shirts because after I threw the one I was wearing in the trash and put on another shirt, I saw that that one also had a bunch of little holes in it. Going through my collection I am finding that almost all of my best t-shirts are also filled with those holes and need to be chucked out. I'm not sure if I can put the blame on my enlarging waistline and metal belt buckles, and I suspect that like the tooth fairy, the t-shirt gremlins sneak in at night and eat those little holes in the cotton shirts.

In any case, I have thrown out 8 shirts this morning, and hesitate to go through the rest but will just see on a day to day basis what shirts are still worth keeping. I guess I will have to buy a whole bunch of new ones. I prefer the ones made in heavier cotton rather than the thin cotton polyester mixes, so I think this replacement project is going to cost me dearly. Obviously I have too much time on my hands if I bothered to write this thread.
Cotton shirts are the best and better if made in the USA.
I do not like the polyester (plastic) shirts or polyester (plastic) blend shirts!

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Saw this one at Bass Pro

Attachments

• 20200208_161817.jpg
    20200208_161817.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 51

SteveSt

Bearcat
I have so many T shirts that my wife had me, OK OK, MADE ME, put half of them in the spare bedroom closet. I have ridden for years, and I have a bad habit of buying T shirts in different places I went to. And not to mention the "gun" shirts I have from different stores and logos of brands. I have slowed down a little, but I kinda like my shirts. Since I wear T shirts 95% of the time, I feel I need plenty. After they get "well used" they become work shirts. And the work shirts have grease spots and holes in them, so she insists I throw them away, but I still wear them when she isn't looking.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
My old tee shirts serve a good final purpose. They get cut into 2"X2" squares for gun patches. I've had a sewing pattern cutting board, roller blade cutter and heavy aluminum straight edge for over 40 years that I used for cutting map drafting paper. About 15 years ago the thought finally hit me to cut cleaning patches ... no more commercially packaged patches. An honorable way to give a good send off to those old favorite tee shirts (and those that were less than favorite).

jd

You'll obviously have to ride to more events!!! I'll be adding a few this weekend with Rolling to Remember, ABATE's Eastern Shore Campout, East Coast Sturgis and Ocean City Bike Week my T shirt supply should be sustainable!!!

el caminero

Single-Sixer
The other day my wife berated me, again, and said I should get rid of the old t-shirt that I was wearing. She pointed out that this motorcycle related shirt had obvious holes, many of them, right at where the shirt was over my belt buckle. Pretty much year round I wear jeans and a t-shirt, untucked as my daily outfit, and I have probably about 75 different t-shirts in my dresser. My wife thinks that the problem is that the belt buckle is wearing those holes in the shirts, and I say shirts because after I threw the one I was wearing in the trash and put on another shirt, I saw that that one also had a bunch of little holes in it. Going through my collection I am finding that almost all of my best t-shirts are also filled with those holes and need to be chucked out. I'm not sure if I can put the blame on my enlarging waistline and metal belt buckles, and I suspect that like the tooth fairy, the t-shirt gremlins sneak in at night and eat those little holes in the cotton shirts.

In any case, I have thrown out 8 shirts this morning, and hesitate to go through the rest but will just see on a day to day basis what shirts are still worth keeping. I guess I will have to buy a whole bunch of new ones. I prefer the ones made in heavier cotton rather than the thin cotton polyester mixes, so I think this replacement project is going to cost me dearly. Obviously I have too much time on my hands if I bothered to write this thread.
Tom t hall ..."wearing my old army sweater that you thought you threw away"...

t-reg

Single-Sixer
What's wrong with a few holes in a shirt as long as you're not going to church, a wedding, or a funeral? They're just broken in, and you're throwing them out?

And if you avoid those things, they're all you need!

3manfan

Single-Sixer
3magfan & 41Dude,, y'all must not think quite right.

When Wendy made that post,, I immediately imagined HER and her own thong gremlin. No need for eye bleach there! :D

But back to the T-shirt thing. I still own some T-shirts from long ago,, that are a bit small. They are stored away,, for the possibility of me getting "Old, thin, & frail!"
As for the ones I currently wear,, I delegate the ones with holes or whatever to a "work on whatever" bunch. Once they get too far gone to wear,, (too many holes, too greasy, or whatever,,) THEN they get thrown away, unless I need a rag for something.
Oh, I had the same thought.....I just didn't wanna start any drama by referring to it in my comment since I know she's hitched

Hertervillian

Saluki
One of my daughters was bad about over loading the washer. Clothes would get between the drum and seal, when it spun it would wear holes. She lost a favorite finally and changed her ways

protoolman

Service-Sixer
You'll obviously have to ride to more events!!! I'll be adding a few this weekend with Rolling to Remember, ABATE's Eastern Shore Campout, East Coast Sturgis and Ocean City Bike Week my T shirt supply should be sustainable!!!
Must be weird being the guy who shows up at biker events on a dirtbike? Although A scooter gang showed up at Sturgis 2 years ago!

Must be weird being the guy who shows up at biker events on a dirtbike? Although A scooter gang showed up at Sturgis 2 years ago!
My bike gets more attention than the Chrome barges. Maybe that's because they have never seen anything like it before? How many times have you seen over 150 Harley's, Indians etc following a giant dirt bike??? Burley Biker types for scale. You need a 36" inseam to reach the ground. I make fun of all the guys shining their bikes. I tell them that all I clean is the chain. Biggest highest American Flag usually leads the parade! I've got a 4'x6' American for this year. If I'm not doing major highway I have 5'x8' flags. Crap I even make this thing look small!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_114006055.jpg
    IMG_20200913_114006055.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1594023909268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594023909268.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180526_135213129.jpg
    IMG_20180526_135213129.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180811_114842644_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180811_114842644_HDR.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1560093404546.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560093404546.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220219_120034~2.jpg
    IMG_20220219_120034~2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210711_185328~3.jpg
    IMG_20210711_185328~3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210711_185328~2.jpg
    IMG_20210711_185328~2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1593999269583.jpg
    FB_IMG_1593999269583.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 27
Whenever I travel I always like to grab a Harley shirt from wherever I am for both the wife an I. These shirts get worn a lot, as most do. Rather than throwing them out, my wife cuts out the images and location "patches" so that eventually, she can make a quilt out of them. She's got quite the pile, and I still have quite a few in the closet.

For the non-sentimental shirts, there are 3 classifications: "good", "work", "gun-cleaning rag" ;)

Now that I have thrown out many of my old t-shirts, I will start to replenish my stock. I just ordered a t-shirt from Tunnels to Towers, a charity that I support regularly. I hope its decent quality because with shipping the shirt is just over $40! I used to buy a suit for that much (well, not really, but close).