Is there an extended safety/slide release for the Mark 1?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kjk200

Bearcat
I just started shooting my fathers Mark 1 pistol with the Hogue rubber grips.
I feel like I need three hands to apply push up the safety to hold the bolt back. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong with the pistol.

I think an extended safety/slide release might be what I need but I can't seem to find any. Is there such a thing available for the Mark 1?

contender

Ruger Guru
On the MKI,, the safety does two jobs. Acts as a safety,, AND as a bolt hold open lock when manually used.
A MKII has a separate bolt lock. It's not a good idea to use that bolt hold open lock as a bolt release. It can & will wear the tip necessary to properly lock it open.

Long ago,, I saw some slip on/over larger safety button pieces as an aftermarket item for a MKI. I haven't seen one in years.

I just learned to operate the bolt hold open portion of a MKI safety as follows;
I'm right handed,, so I hold the gun grip in my right hand. Using my left hand, I push the bolt open by placing my hand over the top of the receiver. I then use my right hand thumb to push up the safety button.

I hope this helps.

to answer the OPs question, .....no,,,,, can it be done?? anything with the right idea, and made to work on a "one time" creation,,,would it be marketable?? again NO, both models discontinued so no need ,want or market...you learn to operate as they were intended to do so and they work quite well, and easy right or left handed ( I am, for over 76 years),,,,good reason God gave us two hands as well as 8 fingers and two opposing thumbs,,,works every time...........:cool::rolleyes:

......."and so it goes.." Wil Terry.. RIP;)