Is anyone buying revolvers these days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm considering selling 2 or 3 Ruger 44 mags since I can no longer shoot them. Checked GB auctions and didn't see a lot of interest.
I stopped at a local gun shop yesterday (mistake) and one of the few rifles on the rack was a new Ruger American Rancher(?) .223, 16" threaded barrel, w/AR magwell and the FDE stock. It's not that I NEED another .223 but well you understand the "flawed" logic.
I ran the idea of trading one of the 44's past Son and he thought it was an upside down trade--he was correct.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know much of the market is geared toward & pushed by the folks who want "plastic, tactical, & semi's."
But serious shooters still enjoy revolvers.

hittman

Staff member
Yes, I still buy revolvers. Especially 5.5 inch RedHawks and any Six Series double actions.

Revolvers real hard to find for sale around here.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I wouldn't buy anything but a Ruger SA or DA. I have no plastic pistols. Plain looking and ugly to me. Nothing like 20 grs of 2400 recoiling in my leather gloved hand.

Yes, people are still buying revolvers. A fair number of them are. Sold one yesterday. Taurus in 44 Special. I've sold 3 Taurus 44 Specials in the last few months. Wouldn't call the 44 mag as one of the most asked for calibers but I've sold one of those recently as well.

Seems to me like a selling frenzy on GunBroker for Ruger Vaqueros and RedHawks. I find countless items that appear to be in "new old stock condition" with dozens of bids. I suspect collectors are selling to dealers and then they in turn list the "safe queen" as new old stock and prices climb to 50% over MSRP or double what street prices were a year ago.

Rclark

Hunter
Speaking for myself, I've pretty much done with buying revolvers (never say never though). I don't buy semi-autos... I have a good set of single actions from .22 to .45 Colt that are about as perfect as they can get (tuned, right barrel length, grip panels I like, and of course accurate). What more do I need for a life time of shooting? Might say I have got my perfect pack'n pistols :) .

But looking at the selection at the gun stores and asking a few questions, It sounds like people are still buying revolvers (and pistols).....

I've got to find a local dealer who will ship for me before I list them and I hope I'm not violating a rule but here's a preview:
SS Redhawk 7.5" w/ Pachmayr grips not a mark on it. It was like new when bought and I haven't shot it.
SS Super Blackhawk 7.5" with B-square mount and Weaver 2.5-8 silver scope Pachmayr grips. Came this way so I don't have the rear sight. This one had been fired a few times before I got it and I shot it a few times. No marks or dings.
50th Anniversary New Model Blackhawk 44 6 1/2(?)" blued NIB but the plastic box is a little dusty

jdowney

Bearcat
I used to have pretty good luck using gunbroker's ffl finder to locate local guys. Its often out of date but it is at least a starting point.

Go with the cheaper ones, they actually want to do it. From 2008 to 2010 or so I used a guy in Alamogordo who was top notch. He charged $10 per incoming transfer and would do outgoing for free - he made it super easy to sell pistols (I had just inherited my dad's and only wanted to keep a couple of them). I would drop it off at his place and then run a 5 day auction, then give the buyer my guy's email for transfer once payment came through. That guy was a class act, real easy to deal with. Never found one quite as good as him, but on the whole I've always found pretty reasonable guys for transfers.

Most storefront guys don't like doing it though, only had a couple good experiences that way.

Oh, and I still buy revolvers - two last year :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
YUP..... Pretty much only buy revolvers.... although I did buy a MKIV 22/45 LITE last year.... and have a coupla 1911's..... and maybe one.................. !!! :)

jimd441

Blackhawk
With respect to handguns, I'm much more of a revolver guy so I'll put my biases aside and look at a local data point. My local range (Central N.C.) has a good sized shop and I watch the guns for sale appear and disappear. There is a robust market for revolvers there, they move as quickly as the semi-autos and it is not a panic "buy whatever they have" situation as there is always a good supply of guns there.

Jim

44RED

Bearcat
I don't dislike any pistols or revolvers.

I see the purpose for everything from a Glock to a single action Ruger and everything in between.

I just bought a revolver :) I can dump that brass in my hand :)

I've got more revolvers than anything else, although I do enjoy variety. These days, I think I mix it up with buying and alternate between revolvers and semi autos. I bought a black polymer gun yesterday, first one ever (for me.)

Revolvers at least have character. Black Plastic guns do tend to look the same. I showed the one to a family member yesterday, and the remark was "Oh, it looks just like the fake guns in the movies."

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Revolvers are the only handgun I buy. I have several 1911's, a hi-power and one of those plastic 9mm.... don't need anymore autoloaders!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Revolvers will definitely sell.
Maybe instead of jumping thru the hoops of shipping have the local store sell them on consignment.
I bet they sell plenty fast enough then you take the money and buy what you want.

Latest posts