installing Security Six trigger spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radshop

Bearcat
OK - need a little help here. The trigger spring broke on my Security Six (150 prefix). Ruger sent me a new one with no problem. But I'm a little stumped on 2 things.
First of all, the spring Ruger sent me is bigger than the old one. I checked with Ruger and they assure me they only stock one size of spring for all Security Sixes. The old spring's coil is only slightly larger than the trigger bushing, while the new one flops around on the bushing. I suppose that when it's installed and under tension, that won't matter. Anyone have any guidance on this? You can see the old and new springs in the picture below.
Second, since the old spring broke and I didn't get to see it in place, I'm not 100% sure on how the spring should be installed. I mean, I'm looking at it and there only seems to be one way it could go, but I just want to make sure. If I'm right about how it should be installed, it doesn't look like a simple task. Does anyone have a picture of how the Security Six trigger spring should be installed? Any advice on how to install it?
Thanks in advance.
Radshop
photo1tj.jpg

JoePike

Bearcat
I got my replacement from wolff. It was exactly the same as the oem spring, only lighter. That new one you got looks huge. I have seen them listed as new style and old style, so maybe this is the new style.? There is only one way to put it in.

radshop

Bearcat
Well, I found a picture on Gunbroker of a Security Six trigger assembly and it has the right angle to show how the correct installed configuration - confirming what I already thought. I just wonder how many times I'll have to chase that spring across the room trying to get it in like that. Are there any tricks? (I checked YouTube and came up empty). I've installed my share of springs, and often I'm able to rig up some sort of way to hold the spring and get it into position, but this one looks to be tricky.

Cholo

Staff member
I've done it a few times and can tell you from experience, it's really tricky. I can't tell you how I did it as I'm not taking my SS apart again, but I can say it took me a long time to get it right. If you know how it goes in, all I can say is to keep trying and eventually you'll get it done.

The new spring Ruger sent you does seem to be larger than your old one. Ruger springs rarely break. Could it be that the one that broke was the wrong one to begin with when you got the gun?

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
Get a clear plastic bag that you can see through and is large enough to put the gun and your hands inside
so when the spring has sprung it will stay inside the bag.

I just bought 2 used S6's and one is from the second year of production.
Perhaps I should just change out the springs as a scheduled maintenence
move just to prevent any failures at a bad time?