Inexpensive LED tacticle light.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I don't think anyone was saying not to get the light, just a few things to think about.

For example, I HAVE had cheaper LED lights not work when it was needed most, which in fact, DOES leave you in the dark.

Food for though of a "real life situation"- (and why "I" will never use a cheap light again for anything other than play, training, etc)

Middle of the night-
Awoke by loud crash noise in the house-
Jump out of bed..., loaded gun in hand-
Figure in the dark, you can see the shadows-
You now can tell this is "someone" in the house-
(you have no idea how many, who it is, what the intentions are, what they are armed with, etc, etc)

So here we are, loaded gun in hand with sights on a subject in OUR house after hearing the loud crash (and the stupid light does not come on because it is made cheap and the last time it was shot the wires inside came loose because of shoddy soldering and not known as the pistol is cleaned and put up for the night)-
Do I have a right to shoot?
SURE!!!
He just broke in MY house in the middle of the night!!!

Would the law protect me "if" he winds up dead because he was in fact in my house?
I believe it would:)

Would I have felt bad shooting a drunken neighbor kid that was so blasted he went to the wrong house in the middle of the night?
Yes!!! (to say the least)

Would I have felt bad having to face his parents every day from across the lawn (just because I "was" justified" and he should not have been in MY home?)
OMG!!! what a bad feeling that would be..., never to see him again!!)

Would I feel better spending a few more dollars to MAKE SURE I do not kill a drunken student, out for the first time and not knowing his alcohol limits? SURE!!

Should "I" do EVERYTHING in "my" power to MAKE SURE of the "Target" and "Backstop"?

We have the "safety lights" on when popping paper targets in front of a dirt hill (I hope:)
But what about when in our own home?
It is ok to shoot at anything that goes "bump in the night"?

What about making sure of the Target?
Only pointing at what you plan to "Destroy"?
Making sure of the backstop?

Do we, as responsible gun owners only play it safe during day time..., in front of a piece of paper, stapled to a wooden rack?
What about in the home with a real person in your sights...,
(Target, Backstop, Point, DESTROY)

I know..., several different thoughts, well, many thoughts on the subject-
However- could anyone of "us" live with the thought of taking an "innocent" child because of a mindset of "I will shoot anything that comes through my front door at night".

"What if" that was your kid..., just in from out of town to give you a surprise birthday in the morning...,
that would still be justified...,
your house...,
intruder...,
front door breached...,
again, gun in hand to "shoot the first thing that moves".

With power comes GREAT RESPONSIBLITY and hopefully we can ALL use it wisely and have control when needed and use force when needed..., but PLEASE..., PLEASE make sure of your target and backstop- in the home as well as on the gun range as you never know if it is a drunken neighbor kid in the wrong house, your own kid wanting to surprise you in the morning or a drugged out psycho maniac bent on raping, robbing.
and killing.

Just my .02

Lights, lasers, sights, scopes, etc aside, just because we "have the right" does not make it right even when, at the time, it "seems" right.

I can not stress enough the importance of gun safety- whether home or on the range

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":2e3r0kgn said:
Ever since I saw someone take apart one of the Chinese Aimpoint knockoffs, exposing the electrical tape and bare wires that were sort of stuffed into the body, I've had a different, er, "appreciation" of Asian electronics that seem priced "too good to be true".

There's a reason the real thing costs hundreds of dollars, and the knockoffs are $20. TANSTAAFL.

-- Sam

Yeah...,
Happened to me too.
I learned my lesson,
Cheap is good for play, training use to just "get the feel", etc.
HOWEVER, for the sake of life, use something "good" :)

ConradM

Blackhawk
waynejitsu":1as8dywo said:
Yosemite Sam":1as8dywo said:
Ever since I saw someone take apart one of the Chinese Aimpoint knockoffs, exposing the electrical tape and bare wires that were sort of stuffed into the body, I've had a different, er, "appreciation" of Asian electronics that seem priced "too good to be true".

There's a reason the real thing costs hundreds of dollars, and the knockoffs are $20. TANSTAAFL.

-- Sam

Yeah...,
Happened to me too.
I learned my lesson,
Cheap is good for play, training use to just "get the feel", etc.
HOWEVER, for the sake of life, use something "good" :)

I agree. You can skimp on a lot of things. But you should never skimp on your life saving tools. It's true when they say you get what you pay for, and I want something that will work when I need it most.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I agree that a $400 surefire is a tad much for a rail light. For that price it should withstand an IED blast after being hit with an RPG. Thats why I went with the Streamlight TLR-1 as its a very well made quality rail light that I know will work every time I flip the switch. I've had my first one for years now and have used it while shooting quite a bit, and it still works.

I know how your feeling when you can't justify $100 for a flashlight because that's how I felt before I bought mine. Then I purchased it and not only am I extremely satisfied with the piece of mind and quality of the rail light, I bought another. Now I have $200 worth of rail lights and I don't look at them as a waste of money, but as 2 quality products I can bet my life on.

ConradM

Blackhawk
waldo1324":33nng3p1 said:
What would the concensus recoomendation for a rail light? im looking to get the smallest decent one...

I found that this one was the best bang for the buck.. Insight WX150, 150 lumens, strobe, momentary and constant. Operated with toggle switches.

IMG_45941280x768.jpg

Can be found for $140ish...

waldo1324

Bearcat
ah , me likey- something that doesnt add to the thickness is my bag.
good and bright with all those momentary/strobey features.

ill have to start a new Firearm Change Jar.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
The Insight light looks very similar to the Streamlight TLR-1 in the pic's.

I also have the TLR-1 and like it a LOT, especially the fact that I can remove it in about 1 second or less if needed for a concealed carry.
Streamlight, Surefire and Insight..., all top quality lights you can rely on.

Even though they cost more, they are worth more and "if" you have a tight budget, you can always pick up a "lightly" used one (pun intended:) for a lot less than new (that is what I did with this particular light).
Right now a guy on another forum (glocktalk) has a couple of Insight M3 lights for $60 shipped and you would have a "good" light for not a lot of $$$

A

Anonymous

That is such a beautiful led light bulb for the pistol. I also have a LED light for my double barrel shot gun for hunting. The light focus is good and I can use it even at night.