Idle conversion chit-chat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was just perusing TheForum, and was struck by an idle thought (not too uncommon for me) . . .

We see all sorts of posts related to the conversion of one Ruger or another to a different caliber or configuration than was originally shipped from TheFactory. Then we all jump in and offer our considered (?) opinions about said proposed conversions, and this provides considerable entertainment, along with occasionally revealing a factoid or two we had not considered. So, I was wondering . . .

Perhaps it has already been mentioned, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts would be on the idea of converting an original, large-frame Vaquero to .41 Magnum. The gun has been caliber-swapped up and down for one reason or another in the past, but I don't recall seeing this particular one discussed. Yes, I realize there are factory-made Blackhawks in this chambering, complete with adjustable sights and all that. I don't even have a "tactical niche" in mind for the piece, just scratching an itch.

What say you, folks? And, by the way, the answer to "Why?" is, of course, "Why not?".

:D

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Dave Clements has one in his photo gallery.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/gunpictures.html

I thought about this conversion for a while, but went with a 1.4" 41 mag using a maximum cylinder, and went with a .41 mag conversion on a 357 anniversary. (In process, no pics :( )

The midframe New Vaquero is more than capable of handling the .41 mag in a rechambered factory cylinder, and would make a marginally more packable piece.

However, the large frame guns can handle 40K-50K pressures in a .41 mag configuration. (WORK UP!)[/url]

DGW1949

Hunter
I once handled/fired a Uberti 357 which had been converted to .41 Mag. And being's how the RV is a bigger/stronger gun than a Uberti, I'd think that converting one of them would work even better.

Come to think of it, I'd bet Ruger even considered a 41 RV at some time.

DGW

I'm pretty sure Ruger considered all the "likely" candidates for chambering when they developed the Vaquero, and settled on the ones they felt would sell the most guns. With that as a criteria, I'm not too surprised that the .41 didn't make the cut, as it has never been the big seller that the .45 Colt, .357 and .44 Magnums have.

:D

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
How about a 3 screw Vaquero and it might be cheaper to do. Get a shooter grade .41 Mag and the barrel and cylinder would already be .41 Mag and all you'd have to do is modify the top strap to Colt style and put on a Colt type front sight. Just a thought.
HH

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Forum member Lee Martin has made a .41 Mag big-frame Vaquero and even posted photos in a thread he created here. I think he has it in the gallery on his website too.