I want to smooth things out a bit more via spring swap...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Here's something that happened in your own state. A guy killed a guy on his porch with a bow and arrow. Do you thing he'd been labeled a "blood thirsty killer with evil intent" if he'd of shot the guy with a custom highly modified rifle or handgun?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0105/Pennsylvania-castle-doctrine-protects-man-who-shot-his-romantic-rival

A lady here in Fairbanks, a felon who could not own a gun, chopped a guys arm off with a sword when he busted her door down.....hmmm what was she doing owning a sword...ah.... A CONVICTED BLOODTHIRSTY FELONN WITH EVIL INTENT!!! NOT!! Otherwise she'd have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/11380122/article-Fairbanks-woman-nearly-severs-intruder-s-hand-in-defense-of-home?

It's not about the weapon, it's about the circumstances. Legal self defense or not....

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snyd said:
Show me a case where someone executed deadly force in a lawful situation where they were they were convicted of a criminal (or civil) crime because of the gun or ammo used or firing more than one round, etc. None that I can find in my state.

Do your own legal research. I've done mine ....

I rely on advised legal opinions ... not quotes like .... 'Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6' ...

The REAL thing to be concerned about is whether or not you go to jail after being judged by 12 non-gun jurors based on free ammunition that you gave the opposition when you didn't have to.

Do whatever you want.

REV

Snyd

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Snyd said:
Show me a case where someone executed deadly force in a lawful situation where they were they were convicted of a criminal (or civil) crime because of the gun or ammo used or firing more than one round, etc. None that I can find in my state.

Do your own legal research. I've done mine ....

I rely on advised legal opinions ... not quotes like .... 'Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6' ...

The REAL thing to be concerned about is whether or not you go to jail after being judged by 12 non-gun jurors based on free ammunition that you gave the opposition when you didn't have to.

Do whatever you want.

REV

Legal opinions!! Show us a case, a precedence! Define Legal Opinion. A lawyers opinion or an actual judgement in a case? Put up or shut up as they say. YOU sir, brought this up. I HAVE done my own research and refuse to buy into the internet forum hype that gets spread around. You are spreading unfounded fear and it could get someone killed by causing them to hesitate for fear of an unfounded civil lawsuit.

Surely you can quote one, just one case where someone went to jail for exercising deadly force with a "modified weapon" but were justified in every other aspect of the shooting. Or even a civil suit after being found innocent of any wrongdoing.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snyd said:
It's not about the weapon, it's about the circumstances. Legal self defense or not...

I'll take my chances in court if it ever gets that far thank you.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thank you counselor ... I hope you never find out what REALLY happens after a 'self defense' shooting. From the phrases you've used and a few things that you've said ... it's obvious you've never really looked into this issue, and you're talking purely off the top of your head ... or from somewhere else. Talk to a lawyer and find out what the real story is. I have.

Again ... do whatever you want.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snyd said:
[You are spreading unfounded fear and it could get someone killed by causing them to hesitate for fear of an unfounded civil lawsuit.

LOL.

REV

blindjim

Bearcat
I'm impressed by the input here and how mature it is. Not to mention how spot on it is.

certainly, I'm old enough to descern what I should and shouldn't do one way or another.

The wisdom here settles me into a proper path though.

To clarify for everyone… I'm over fiddy now… haven't had to pick up a gun in 30 years. Swore back then I never would again…. So much for that. Times and things change.

Six years in the Navy. A member of two ships 'away team'. Security patrols on board and on base. Qualified as Expert with military 1911 1a 45 cal. Qualified on several FA weapons, carbines, M1, M14, Two shotguns, pump and semi auto. Shot competitively for a brief time while still on active duty. Briefly as well following my stint.

I had two occasions to pull and discharge my sidearm. Both times resulted in someone dying. Once more… I'm not looking forward to having to use this 345, or any other weapon against someone else…. Not at all.

Since the USN I've owned a few guns but never was an avid shooter. Every time it was for Self defense or a part of a job.

Guns in my opinion have always been viewed as tools. Nothing more. That said, I do have a deep respect for the tooling, engineering and esthetic of any well made gun. So yeah.. I'like 'em but I'm not deeply in love with them, so I'll not be a collector probably.

Now I have to aim with a LED attached light… daytime or night time. Pistol or shot gun. In daylight, I could use the shot gun without the light… I am pretty sure as I do at the range a bit now and then and there's scant little bright light in there.

So I'm unable today to clip twigs off branches at distances like I could years ago… but I'm simply aiming to place the first one… or two wher they need to be… I've never had to shoot more than two rounds to halt a threat.

Both guns are lit… the XPS and the 345 with 200 + lumen lights.

In gun smithing I'm less than an amateur. In shooting I'd say I'm not. The thing is 3 decades is a goodly amount of time and it's almost as if I'm learning things all over again…. And the 345 is my first semi auto pistol. All else were six shooters.

Hope that clears things up some and enables others to have a closer look into my world.

Snyd
Very cool thoughts… thanks for the input.

War Zone? Seems like it I suppose.

I've been on this corner off & on for 50 years or more. I'll probably wind up right here when it's time to go forever most likely…. But then one never knows what tomorrow has in store for them.

Agreed…. Moving on seems an adequate solution. Another could be eliminating the five or six hooligans that are the cause of the episodes I described earlier. To that end, it's cameras… not pistols & shotguns which are needed…. At least in my case.

When one has a lot on their plate somehow the obvious eludes them… er, me.

The notion I'll not feel or concern myself with the current trigger pull during some emergency ….. 'safety off' condition is EXACTLY correct. Agreed. Duh.

I'm just not with it folks. Sorry. I know this is true.

Actually neither I nor anyone else quite probably ever wants to have that experience, or again.

It sure is a sad statement that someone has to take such measures to try to protect themselves in today's world.

Thanks for the reality check and it's appreciated.

However… (I knew he was going to have a 'however' in there!). I probably will investigate it a tad more and see what the nuts and bolts of the spring exchange amounts to.

I did sit in front of the TV last night snapping off quite a few virtual rounds and feeling out the pull and break more intently.

It's really not bad as I continue to report.

It ain't the car that is the problem ordinarily, usually, it's the 'nut' behind the wheel…. Or in this case, the trigger.

In the interim… I'm locked into seeing about making this 345 uh, less well, less resistant.

Gunsby_Blazen

OK… OK… more DF'ing it is… more range time it is… actually dropping the hammer no this thing did concern me a lot. Hearing all the input on dry firing being a non issue settles that down for me. That's a load off.

Thank you

Snyd

Single-Sixer
REV

If you are interested in what actually can and does happen, there was a case here in Alaska back in 2003 where a pastor shot and killed 2 guys. There were some questions about the shooting (not the gun) one guy was hit in the back, died on the road, one guy escaped and died somewhere else. He ended up being found innocent of any criminal charges. Negligent homcide and something else. He was then however drug into a civil suit by the family but NOT because if the weapon itself but rather the way he used it. "undo diligence" or something to that effect. I can't remember the legalese. There are a couple threads at the http://TheFiringLine.com that have news articles pasted in them from back in 2003 if you care about the details. The articles are not on the Anchorage news website anymore.

My point here is that he was not faced with a defense regarding the weapon he used, but rather HOW he used it.

Show us one case where there was a criminal conviction for someone using a modified handgun in self defense.

Mike J

Hunter
Jim I agree with you about the cameras. I would think some security cameras, an alarm system & a large dog might help you a lot. If you can do some of these things it might help keep you from having to use the gun.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
Jim,

I live in Illinois, behind the curtain, so I am a little more paranoid. My whole state seems to be run by anti-gun politicians and lawyers. they want to run people who use firearms as self defense down the river for political reasons more than anything else. EXAMPLES MUST BE MADE!

i still recommend using some snap caps. While you dont really "need" them, i still like the idea of minimizing impact.
again, there is a difference between action proving dummy rounds and snap caps.... some are both though

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588391/pachmayr-snap-cap-45-acp-polymer-package-of-5

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638179/tipton-snap-cap-45-acp-polymer-package-of-5

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128024/carlsons-snap-cap-45-acp-aluminum-red-package-of-5

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...y-round-snap-cap-45-acp-aluminum-package-of-5

GOOD LUCK! and again, you don't really "need" these...
thanks for the dialogue! have a good one!

blindjim

Bearcat
Mike J

Thanks... got the security system and monitoring. Since the guns and sec system came on board there's been no more attempted break ins. Eliminating the 'diaper gang's' ability to steal Wy Fy with increased security levels/arrangements MUST HAVE made 'em mad and then they shot off the shot gun between my house and the vacant one next door.

I also think I've picked out the camra system I want. Networked, DLNA, PNP. ccd DAY./NIGHT.Remote viewing. & Access. 8ch DVR .. 5 cameras. auto motion recording *(via Pixel change). $750.

Cameras are all weather proof, 4-40ft & 1-65ft range; all are analog & HARD WIRED. I think digital cameras might be better. we'll see... 90 day return policy.

BTW, exercising that trigger is very slowly helping.

Tanks