I just bought a Ruger Mark II target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I've never been a big fan of the Ruger semi auto pistols. I still bought one the other day.new with docs but no box(no mag either). Not a big deal on the mags as I got a bunch of magazines at a yard sale for 20 bucks that had 4mags for the Mark II...and 2 for my S&W 41. Even had 2Colt and one Browning 22mags. The gun is new with thumbrest checkered grips. Just wondering when these Rugers got so expensive? Don't think I got hurt as I got the gun and a brick of Aguila 22LRs and a box of a hundred Winchester too. Paid almost 500 bucks for the thing. She also has a Blackhawk 41 mag I'm considering buying. My favorite bbL length on it 4 5/8. Was 500 A reasonable price on a Mark II?

hittman

Staff member
You did well.

IMG_0101.jpeg

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
The Ruger Mk II is a high quality accurate firearm. You got a good deal.

Some people find them finicky with ammo.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have over 4700 rounds through mine, almost all CCI Mini Mags (40gr). I haven't had a single failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject. Not once.

I've never disassembled mine - just clean it through the ejection port.

S&W model 41 is the cat's meow, though.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Ah the 41...I really didn't get to take a look other than to note it was short. Cleaning up in her ex husbands reloading/gun room. Sold some guns for her..Henry 22 SR9 others. I also got an 8 pound keg of Universal

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The only downside is the bbl is long...makes it heavy. I've been told they shoot well. When my wife and 6 of her friends took the concealed carry course the instructor had a bunch of shorter bbld Rugers for the students to shoot...everybody wanted to shoot my High Standards and 41s...including the instructor. He really liked the long 41. My wife cleaned the course with the 41 with the field barrel. In fact all the gals shot better than their husbands. and the gals get together and shoot now and then here on the ranch. 2 of them have Ruger 22 s and 2 of the 4 ladies carry Sig 365s. One carries a SP101 in 327

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I believe The Mark II is truly the best of the Mark Series of pistols. I have 4 of them, covering a variety of shooting options.
1702886640127.png

I shoot the slab-side Competition the best because of the longer sight radius and Williams Fire Sights. The Target is the most accurate, because of the Fast Fire red dot, but I don't shoot red dots enough and I'm not as fast with it. The ones I enjoy the most are the Standard and the 22/45, with Fire Sights.

I know some people prefer the Mark IV, because of the one button take down, but the others are nothing to worry about. All you have to do is refer to this video, and remember to pay attention to where the hammer strut is!

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
As far as ammunition, I used to use Remington Golden Bullets and Federal bulk stuff when I was young. They haven't been quite as reliable in recent years.

Now I use CCI Mini-Mags, especially if I am using in a self-defense or home-defense situation (although my CCW is a Security 380) or, mostly, CCI Blazers. I have found the Blazers to work very well in all of my .22s. In over 3000 rounds, only 3 required a second strike (easy with the SR22), 1 had to be rotated to a different point on the rim and 1, only 1, was a dud.

wproct

Single-Sixer
The MKII is my favorite of all of the Ruger semi-auto .22 series pistols. You haven't mentioned the barrel length or whether it is blued steel or stainless, at least I didn't notice if you did. If you did please forgive me as I'm and older guy and tend to miss things. Also I'm assuming the checkered grips with thumbrest are walnut? At any rate, it's a good pistol and I think you are fine price wise.

Skeet, you done good , and like Dave up above ,some of my favorites too.....(y)

The one I wish I kept was the stainless 5 1/4 in target upper, on the 22/45 lower,,,the best of BOTH worlds...........:unsure:;)

Attachments

• MK II std two tone.JPG
    MK II std two tone.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 39
  • MK II T514 set.JPG
    MK II T514 set.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 52

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The gun is long bbld and Blue Walnut checkered. As far as ammo I use most alli of the bulk stuff. my Smith shoots CCI SV and the Federal bulk stuff well. this ruger likes CCI minimags. I broke out a box of tenex and it shoots them well but with a couple fails to eject...expensive play. The lady that carries her 327 is married...and liked my 101 327 . For fun she shoots H &R mags that I load and 327s for serious...Loud mine shoots32ACP...hers wont

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Good price if it's in good shape. Paid more for my last MkII and that was a couple of years ago. They're not getting any cheaper.

How tight is the fit of the mainspring housing? Flipping up the locking lever and pulling the mainspring housing out is the hardest part of taking down one of my MkIIs. The other two swing out easily enough but one is a real struggle.

As mentioned above, the big trick to reassembly is getting the hammer and hammer strut positioned correctly. Once you learn how to dangle the strut at the correct angle, it's not a big deal.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
wproct,, the barrel length wasn't mentioned because many of us actually know the MKII Target is usually a 6-7/8" barrel. Yes,, there are a few other target guns,, but in general,, the barrel length is considered to be 6-7/8".
I wouldn't make that assumption myself. The first MkII Target I bought was a 10" and the second was a 5-1/2". The 10" is ridiculous but I think the 5-1/2" may be the most practical Target model, particularly if you intend to use an optic.

And even 6-7/8" doesn't tell you all you want to know. If I'm not mistaken, those come in bull barrel, fluted bull barrel, slab-side and tapered bull barrel, so that should always be stated. (Or is the fluted only post-MkII?) My 6-7/8" is the tapered bull, which I think is the prettiest of all the MkIIs.

I once saw a 4" or 4 point something bull-barreled Target pictured on a forum. Still not sure I believe that one exists, though!

I wouldn't make that assumption myself. The first MkII Target I bought was a 10" and the second was a 5-1/2". The 10" is ridiculous but I think the 5-1/2" may be the most practical Target model, particularly if you intend to use an optic.

And even 6-7/8" doesn't tell you all you want to know. If I'm not mistaken, those come in bull barrel, fluted bull barrel, slab-side and tapered bull barrel, so that should always be stated. (Or is the fluted only post-MkII?) My 6-7/8" is the tapered bull, which I think is the prettiest of all the MkIIs.

I once saw a 4" or 4 point some
20231221_131759.jpg
thing bull-barreled Target pictured on a forum. Still not sure I believe that one exists, though!
20231221_131813.jpg

I am fond of these short little ones. They are Mark 2 Target models.