Hunting revolver.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Com 45acp

Single-Sixer
I found a much nicer 7.5" SRH with a leupold m8-2x, I'm picking up tomorrow. Now how about load and holster ideas. Thinking about a 240 XTP load. I can't wait to begin a new chapter with the challenge of whitetail handgun hunting.

whichwatch said:
contender said:
At $500 you can not go wrong with the Redhawk. Many may feel the longer barrel a hindrance to carry,,, but it will off-set that in shooting. A fine handgun hunting revolver.

Couldn't agree more, that long barrel is a lot to tote around the woods for a day and it makes for a heavy gun too. I had an 8 3/8' S&W Model 29 and after one deer season decide it was too much gun for me. Not the caliber, just the fact that it was cumbersome and heavy with that long heavy barrel. I did shoot a respectable white tail buck the one year I hunted with it. Maybe you're bigger that I am and it won't be as much of an issue for you.

So what did you switch to?

cas6969

Buckeye
Com 45acp said:
traditional double action

Not trying to side track the discussion, but that statement puzzles me. What makes a double action traditional compared to a singe action? :D

(and were I thinking of things that were "traditional double actions", Redhawks wouldn't come to mind) ;)

Com 45acp

Single-Sixer
Maybe I should have said double action revolver are my preference over single actions.

Joe S.

Hunter
357 will get the job done. I want a 6" GP-100 to hunt with. I think that would make a fine option.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Arisin' Wind said:
whichwatch said:
contender said:
At $500 you can not go wrong with the Redhawk. Many may feel the longer barrel a hindrance to carry,,, but it will off-set that in shooting. A fine handgun hunting revolver.

Couldn't agree more, that long barrel is a lot to tote around the woods for a day and it makes for a heavy gun too. I had an 8 3/8' S&W Model 29 and after one deer season decide it was too much gun for me. Not the caliber, just the fact that it was cumbersome and heavy with that long heavy barrel. I did shoot a respectable white tail buck the one year I hunted with it. Maybe you're bigger that I am and it won't be as much of an issue for you.

So what did you switch to?

I use a 4" S&W Model 29, a 4 5/8" Super Black Hawk and if I need something bigger I have a 5" Super Red Hawk Toklat in .454 Casull.

Com 45acp

Single-Sixer
Well picked up the 7.5" package. Haven't shot it yet but not sure the scope thing is my cup of tea. Think I'm gonna sell scope and rings and use open sights. Opinions?

Joe S.

Hunter
Shooting a scoped revolver takes practice. I think it is a good idea to become proficient with a particular revolver's iron sights before moving to an optic. I'd keep it in case you wanted to try it later. That way you dont have to re-purchase the setup.

MaxP

Buckeye
Com 45acp said:
Well picked up the 7.5" package. Haven't shot it yet but not sure the scope thing is my cup of tea. Think I'm gonna sell scope and rings and use open sights. Opinions?

Either that or a red dot.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
More commonly used in conjunction with semiautos,.but "Traditional Double Action " is intended to differentiate from a DAO .

As noted above, the good news about Super Redhawk are large, heavy, and strong . The bad news is they are large and heavy .

Scope use is personal preference, and highly subjective, both in shooting and carrying. How good are your basic skills at precision revolver shooting? How well can you shoot with iron sights ? What are your anticipated handgun hunting stratagies ? What distances do you plan for / with to be capable for ? Do you have vision issues ? Will you be hunting with revolver only , or have rifle also , either simultaneously, or available to switch off for specific locations. ( ie revolver for heavy cover, rifle for power line or large field ) ?

I own one revolver with scope ( came that way, at a price I would have paid without the scope) . It shoots quite accurately enough, but still with the parameters of my more accurate iron sighted revolvers . But that's me . My vision is holding out still , and I'm confident with iron sights YMMV.

* For Me * , iron sights and handy size are preference, yours may ultimately be different.

Handgun hunters and handloaders can debate Keith vs LBT vs Controled Expansion JHP until sunrise, and just be warming up . BUT , here's the very simplified thumbnail version :

7.5in .44mag is more than plenty powerful . Virginia ( geographic) whitetails are small (in the larger context of Big Game) . Your statehas a minimum energy requirement of 350ftlb for handguns.Any more or less full power .44mag load will be decisively fatal to Bambi, if suitably placed . Even generic 240jhp factory . ( Elk or large bears would be a different discussion .)

But for load suggestions: Use gut feelings or coin toss to decide between jacketed and cast.

Jacketed, Gold Dot , or XTP, or old school Remington Scallop . jacket . all in 240gr, are all proven ; and known quanities . ( Not the only viable choices, but known quality, and good default .)

In cast I prefer SWC, just because . Ideally a faithful Keith, but wouldn't loose sleep over generic commercial cast 240 swc , as long as shot accurately .

Powder choices are vast. Presumably your Dad has some suitable choices on hand ?
2400 and 296 are the cliche choices ( and good ones ) . But I have stumbled upon a default starting point. 4227 , aprox 90% load density for particular bullet . I have yet to have it give worse than 1.25in groups @25yd . The velocity will be sufficient in a big bore for your hunting requirements.

The 240 XTP is a fine whitetail bullet. I load mine with H-110 powder. They are accurate in all of my 44's.

You might want to try a red dot. They are easier to use than a scope in my opinion. Be nice if you could try one before buying. If you decide on a red dot, UltrDot is hard to beat, and will fit in the Ruger rings. With the Ruger rings, you can easily remove them to use open sights and replace them without having to resight your gun.

Maverick

Bearcat
Nothing wrong with the Redhawks. That said I prefer the more western style of the Super Blackhawk. I also prefer the balance of the 10.5 in bbl version. As far as carrying it around, I simply put it on a belt and tighten around my waist over the outside of my hunting coat, not my hips. I use a near weightless nylon holster with open end and soft inner lining and wear it cross draw. I prefer iron sights and have taken deer up to 130 yards two handed with no rest.

One thing to add about sights versus scopes (or other sighting aids): Low light shooting. Important to think about for actual hunting situations. That may swing your preference, depending on which is best for you. Just my $.02 worth.

I think you've got some good advice, just a few things I might suggest:

Hang on to the scope and rings until you have spent some time shooting it. At least hang onto the options until you decide what best works for you. I would also spend some time practicing with a rest.

You don't have to shoot the hottest loads. The 240 grain XTP is a good bullet. Remember you don't have to load it up to the max, it's not that hard to kill a whitetail. Many have been killed throughout the years with just a basic black powder load and a 250 grain bullet. It doesn't hurt to learn to use a rest. Maybe some cross sticks, or maybe a bigger walking stick, you can lean forward or back as needed to get the right elevation. Doesn't hurt at all to use those.

Even if you do decide to sell the scope, keep the rings. At some point down the line it's worth more to you with the rings than without. You might also want to consider a red dot which would probably mean 30mm rings at least. You have a good gun is has a lot of potential for accuracy. It's a matter of what you can make of it. Good luck to you.