Hunting Dall Sheep

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Just watched a hunting show about a Dall Sheep hunt in the Yukon...they took sheep at 500 and 600 yards....what caliber of rifle would be considered potent enough to take an animal that big at that distance....looked like one shot did the trick...

picketpin

Buckeye
I've taken some things at long range. When I KNOW that the shots may be in that range I use a #1 in 7mm STW.

A good 150/160 grain bullet churming along at 3300/34000 fps seems to work quite well.

Alternatively I would think that any of the big 30 calibers would also work.

RWT

R

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
.300 mag,7mm mag,30-06 or larger. They all can do it -just depends on shot placement weather or not it is a one shot kill.

Seems these days with longrange scopes and ballistics to match - shots and kills at this range are becoming more common.If you have the skill,equipment and practice it does not seem unreasonable.

Good shooting-Steve

mattsbox99

Hunter
I use a 7mm RUM, although a .30-06 is a very good performer. Practice is the key though, you can't just buy a caliber and expect it to perform, you must practice and you must spend time learning the rifle.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
So would my Weatherby Mk V in 270 Wthby be reasonable....or do I need more....Browning BLR--30 06...seems the scope is more the issue than the caliber??

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
.270 Weatherby would be fine-

Remember this type of shot would be only if you had to.You most likely will make a shot at normal distance.

Practice at those distances and scope/ballistics info to match you will be fine.

500yards with that rifle zeroed at 300yd should be no problem with a normal scope set-up 3x9 or the like. This is my normal lonrange set-up. Past 500yd things get a bit more complicated.

Good shooting -Steve

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Heck I can't see that far....LOL.....This is something I have to do thats on my bucket list...but doggone these trips are expensive....