How to remove the factor roll mark on the barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wildman Wells

Bearcat
Searched but couldn't find it. How do you remove the factory warning roll mark from the barrel on a SS SBK 44 mag?

Thanks...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Draw filing to remove the stamping while retaining the contour of the barrel is the way many do it. Metal must be removed uniformly to keep the barrel even on both sides. That said,I have done on it on my metal lathe using files and sandpaper.

If you're somewhat experienced with hand tools, filing is a good way to start. If you've never draw filed a round surface before, using 1" x 6" strips of cloth sanding belts in a shoeshine motion is slower but safer.

Rclark

Hunter
WHY do you want to do this, Sir ?
Probably because the stupid warning is 'ugly' and unnecessary. I am glad they 'finally' rotated it under so you have a nice 'smooth' barrel :) . Yesssss.

Wildman Wells said:
Searched but couldn't find it. How do you remove the factory warning roll mark from the barrel on a SS SBK 44 mag?

Thanks...

Do a search here for "billboard removal," or maybe just "billboard."

There used to be some tutorials here.

I'd look in the Revolvers and Ruger-Smithing sections...

eveled

Hawkeye
They should have put it on the grips. Easier to change, and they still get credit for putting it on the gun. Then you could put it back on before you sold the gun.