How hot do you jack up your .44 Mag Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes it is, but no more than the standard Blackhawk when chambered in 44 mag.

A 5 shot cyl is the strongest. An uneven # of chambers causes the cyl nothes to be between chambers instead of directly centered on chambers. The next step is to enlarge the cyl window and use a larger diameter 5 shot cyl.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
quote> How hot do you jack up your .44 Mag Super Blackhawk <end
I go right up the SAAMI 44 magnum MAX loads on occasion, everything else puts you on your own.

contender

Ruger Guru
I load my guns for accuracy,,, not to see how hot I can go. Almost all the time,, I find a medium load to be the most accurate.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Contender is right. If you want recoil and parts to come loose, then do maximum loads. If you want tight groups and reliable accuracy, tone it down. This is true of rifles or handguns. I bet is true in 105 Howitzers. Try 10 grs of Unique, 23 grs of IMR 4227, 21 grs of 2400. That shoots accurate in all of my .44 M Rugers

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NOTE THIS: In the late fifties H.P. White Balistics laboratory showed the S&W M29 cylinder to be DISTINCTLY stronger than the Sturm Ruger SBH 44Magnum cylinder.
Put that is your pipe and smoke it for a while.
And so it goes...

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I am with Contender. Most accurate load unless you don't care what you hit. A deer doesn't care if the bullet is going 1,100 fps or 1,200 fps.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Blackhawks are more robust than M29 Smiths in that they don't rattle loose, go out of time, unlatch as easy when firing heavy loads. However I highly doubt the Blackhawk's cylinder is significantly stronger than the Smith's. Both cylinders are the same diameter and use similar steel alloys. Failure point of either cylinder is going to be primarily a function of pressure. To achieve a "significant" increase the pressure a cylinder will withstand would require either thicker walls (5 shot, larger OD, or both) or going to the superwhamodyne alloy like the Carpenter 465 Ruger is using for cylinders on the 454 and 480 revolvers.

If you need more.....go bigger. 460 S&W revolver will handle any 454 Casull load or 45 LC you want to shoot. Redhawk too! Same deal with the 480 Ruger. You CAN go mildly hot with the Super Blackhawk and still have your accuracy, especially with 300 gr loads. Lotsa options out there....

Dave

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
NOTE THIS: In the late fifties H.P. White Balistics laboratory showed the S&W M29 cylinder to be DISTINCTLY stronger than the Sturm Ruger SBH 44Magnum cylinder.
And so it goes...

The problem with Smiths isn't the cylinder (or the barrel, for that matter) it's everything else. They tend to shoot loose before a Ruger would with similar loads.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
WIL TERRY said:
And so it goes...

Why then does Buffalo Bore not rate the M29 for their +P+? In fact they threaten to discontinue if peoplr fo not heed their warnings and only use them in guns rated for said load.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
BPGuy said:
WIL TERRY said:
And so it goes...

The problem with Smiths isn't the cylinder (or the barrel, for that matter) it's everything else. They tend to shoot loose before a Ruger would with similar loads.

BINGO !!!!

And so it goes...

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Doug.38PR said:
WIL TERRY said:
And so it goes...

Why then does Buffalo Bore not rate the M29 for their +P+? In fact they threaten to discontinue if peoplr fo not heed their warnings and only use them in guns rated for said load.
ASK Buffalo Bore !! ALSO be damned sure to ask where they got a SAAMI Specification for any---ANY---so called +P+ 44MAG pressure level. THAT is in itself is pure USDA prime horseshiq !!!
And so it goes...

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Buffalo Bore 340gr load is 50,000 psi. That's how they get a 340gr to nearly 1500fps.

I have to reject the notion that accuracy always peaks below maximum. I think this is something that only pertains to rifles. Else the most accurate .45Colt loads would be at 13,000psi and would degrade all the way to 50,000psi five-shot loads and we know this isn't the case. There is very little going on in a revolver to suggest that maximum loads are somehow going to be less accurate.

There's not really a whole lot of reason to push the .44Mag much beyond standard pressures. You're not gaining much by pushing heavy cast bullets over 1200-1300fps and run the risk of overpowering the bullet. The .44 can get a 355gr up to 1200fps without exceeding standard pressures and it's hard to improve upon that. It even fits S&W cylinders and 'could' be used sparingly without fear of loosening it up.

All that said, I did procure two .44Mag sixguns with the intent of maximizing the cartridge. This was done as much for cylinder length as strength. One was bought (a 7.5" SRH), one was built (a JRH custom with oversized six shot cylinder). Between the added length and strength you can get another couple hundred feet per second out of the heaviest loads or you can get the same velocity with less pressure. Those Beartooth 330gr and 355gr have dual crimp grooves and I plan to capitalize on that. I had also planned on experimenting with the 405gr but I doubt that it will offer anything over the 330-355gr loads.

The Buffalo Bore 340gr load (left in pic) is the longest of all the factory cast bullet loads, yet still fits S&W cylinders but is not recommended due to elevated operating pressures. The 300gr Punch bullet in the long loading (right) does not fit at all in S&W or standard Super Blackhawk cylinders but it does fit the Super Redhawk and JRH custom.

IMG_9462b.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:

A 5 shot cyl is the strongest. An uneven # of chambers causes the cyl nothes to be between chambers instead of directly centered on chambers. The next step is to enlarge the cyl window and use a larger diameter 5 shot cyl.
A five-shot cylinder isn't necessary and won't gain you anything with a Ruger .44Mag. An oversized six-shot is all the strength you can use.

I fired 10 rounds of 240 gr JSP over 22 grs of 2400 from my Redhawk. I decided that was "enough, and enough was too much" as Popeye would say. The first shot all but tore the gun from my hand. SURPRISE! I hung on after that. Accuracy at 25 yds was ok, but boy howdy, that gun roared! I was at the civilian gun range at Fort Hood, Tx. My line mates just had to know what I was shooting! Now, I shoot 300 gr LWFN with 14 grs of 2400, and 240 grs LSWC over 19.5 of 2400. Those two loads will do all I need from the .44 mag. Good luck with the LOUDENBOOMERS!
gramps

MaxP

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Hondo44 said:

A five-shot cylinder isn't necessary and won't gain you anything with a Ruger .44Mag. An oversized six-shot is all the strength you can use.

I've got one of those! You are correct, you can't really overload one of these:

4e6e578b-8a1a-4d72-9300-c6b2b8ddf7db.jpg

mart

Bearcat
I used to help an old friend wrenching on vehicles many years ago. I'd occasionally ask him what to torque a bolt to and he'd reply, "tighten it up till it breaks and back it off a quarter turn." That mindset doesn't work with reloading either.

That is not meant to infer one shouldn't run SAAMI max loads in a Super Blackhawk. I think most shooters would wear out from max 44 mag loads long before a Super Blackhawk will. There's no need to run above SAAMI max in a stock Blackhawk. If you want to run it hard, get an oversize 5 or 6 shot cylinder.

contender

Ruger Guru
CraigC,, if you noticed,, I said most of my accurate loads were in the medium range. I did not say that there were not any accurate loads at the top end. I was just commenting on how I prefer accuracy over horsepower. My goal is to hit my target. And if I need more power,, I can move up in caliber. I have 454's & 480's.