How Do You Reblue Bearcat Grip Frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

InjunBro

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me how to touch up a bald spot in the blue on a New Model Bearcat grip frame? It almost looks like paint... surely it isn't?

flatgate

Hawkeye
The New Bearcats are ALL STEEL except for the ejector housing. They are blued via conventional methods.

I'm no finishing expert and will defer you to the more skilled Members at hand.

I would imagine some degreaser and a dab of "cold blue" could do the trick......

flatgate

InjunBro

Bearcat
Thanks for your quick help (again)! After rebuilding an Old Model Bearcat for a friends wife I've gotten adicted to all Bearcats.

Most of the times, a "degrease" of the spot and area around it, and a dab of '44-40' cold blue on a Q-tip, burnish it with your palm, another dab of 'cold' blue, and repeat till it blends in...but rememebr ANY 'cold blue; is just that a 'temporary fix' and may not hold up long term,,,,,as Flatgate said, being the frame is now 'steel' gotta get it buffed,polished and reblued.......the frame of a Bearcat is the actual gun, so needs to be treated and handled as a "firearm" if you need or try to ship it out anywhere to get the work done (other "parts" can be sent out,mailed ,whatever no need for "special" handling)......check with any local gun shops around you , that may do refinishing, or calll the factory and ask them..........