How do I improve a 10/22 trigger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Personally I buy a new hammer, spring an such for around $40 and install them.

With that said, one of my goals this year is to learn how to do this by hand.... but I've studied two different long post over at the rimfire central place and it is pretty complicated and takes both time and tools to get it right

wwb

Hunter
Send your trigger assembly to Hornet....

http://www.hornetproducts.com/

and for $79 they'll give you a great trigger job.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Good question. I have been gunsmithing for 44+ years and have never been officially "certified"! I was always under the impression that my "customers" did the certifying by "repeat" business...............Dick

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I second sending it to TT Shooter. he's done a few for me and I currently have 5 or so more waiting to head his way. For about the cost of one of the DIY kits, you have it all done for you and the end result is as good, if not better than the $200 Volquartsen assembly. Wouldn't hesitate a sec about sending him another.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I put in a Power Customs hammer and adjustable sear. Also added an over travel stop. Around 2 lb trigger pull with no take up or over travel. I love it.

Over travel stop and hole for sear adjustment..
IMG_0173.jpg

wwb

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
If you're not into DIY, I would just buy a VQ trigger unit and have your 'smith drop it in...No gun shipping, certain fine result..
JMO

It's fine to buy a Volquartsen (or Hornet for half the price) complete trigger assembly.... but if you need to have a gunsmith install it, I'd say you really aren't intelligent enough to own a firearm..... probably need an electrician to change a burned-out light bulb, too - it's about the same level of difficulty.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Clark Custom also does trigger jobs on customer-supplied trigger groups. They invented the heavy barrelled 10/22 concept.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have installed several of the kits and wasn't impressed with them. What I have found that works about as good as anything is to take the trigger group apart and take the bushings that fit in both sides of the trigger and polish the small end on a knife sharpening stone to remove the black coating and enough to get them smooth. This lightens and smooths the trigger as much as anything I have tried. they are a tight fit from the factory and smoothing up the ends that rub the inside of the trigger housing really improves the pull it frees up the tension and makes a big difference.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
If you've watched the video's and read the forum on tuning the FCG for 10/22's, you're ready to tackle it.

items needed:

Flat surface with a 90 degree edge
400 grit sand paper
600 grit sand paper
Dremil/polishing pads/jewlers polish (rouge)
I also included a hand drill. I used the hand drill to polish the dowels, just chuck them up and hit them with 600 grit until the paint is gone, then turn them 180 degrees, rechuck them and clean up the other end.

I did two last week. The very first one I did, I installed the volquartsen hammer to lighten the trigger, I also polished everything in FCG that could be polished.. very nice trigger pull afterwards and it took me about three hours.

The second one I did was the very next morning, This took me a total of about 2 hours to complete with impressive results even without the volquarsten hammer.

The DIY stuff on Rimfire central is all you need.. Just bring up the thread and leave the pictures up as you work through the trigger group... Look at it this way.. IF something happens, you can always replace that part for cheap with an oem one from someone who's replaced their entire FCG.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
+1 for sure on the KIDD trigger, -10 on a VQ I had, had to get a refund
since the original Ruger unit was smoother and lighter. I'd opt for the
single stage KIDD unless you have a serious desire for a 2 stage, both
are superb.