How are the AR556's holding up??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Curio Bill

Bearcat
I have not seen any field reports for this new toy, so......How are the new owners of this new ruger AR rifle liking it?? How are they holding up?? Any problems emerged?? Thanks , Bill

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I wish I could give you a thorough answer but I'm still trying to find one to buy!
I have noted that other than Gunblast.com's review, most if not all of the gun
magazines on the market haven't yet run a single review and that surprises me.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've seen exactly one of these rifles at the range, and that was quite a few months ago. Fellow had it out for the first time, and it seemed to work. He was pleased!

Are there maybe just not that many around to hear a good number of stories?

Rick C

45flattop

Single-Sixer
In most cases with a potentially high demand product such as this appears to be,
manufacturers ship samples to many if not all valid testers for evaluation such as
Gunblast.com but yet as I mentioned earlier, not a one review much less mention
of the rifle has appeared in any of the magazines I regularly subscribe to such as
American Rifleman, Guns, American Handgunner, Rifle or Reloading, there are
others out there I realize that I don't usually see but I regularly watch the news
stands for a sighting but so far, no joy yet. :(

OldePhart

Blackhawk
45flattop said:
In most cases with a potentially high demand product such as this appears to be,
manufacturers ship samples...but I regularly watch the news
stands for a sighting but so far, no joy yet. :(

Interesting. As a curmudgeonly old engineer (albeit software) a couple of possibilities come to mind. One, maybe they had an accelerated development cycle and these hit the street without enough lead time between "early production" and "production" - most major print magazines run 3 to 6 months from planning to distribution so if there weren't early production models available 6 months ago it's possible the magazines haven't caught up. The only other alternative that comes to my mind is much less cheerful and has a lot to do with the fact that print magazines rarely encounter an advertiser's product that they can't find something nice to print about...

John

dakota1911

Buckeye
I stumbled into one during an Oktoberfest sale this last year. Went there thinking I might pick up another SR1911CMD for $625. Ruger was one of the sponsors and I got to talking to one of the Ruger guys. They had not advertised them but had them for $599 so I bought one. I have only shot it with the supplied iron sights but it has always gone bang. The only thing I have bought for it so far a some more mags. Down the road I will probably get a scope. The Ruger fellow was talking about a Jury system they have. Some employees get new guns and then lots of ammo to go out and play with them. He had shot the AR-556 a great deal he said and was impressed with it. One day I went out with my Brother in Law who has a Colt LE6920 and I shot that the same as far as groups, etc. The Colt was probably a little nicer but he got that on a special sale and it was $1K. Anyway a picture next to my SR-762.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Excuse the all caps analogue to shouting from the rooftops in glee, but.....

I FINALLY FOUND ONE FOR SALE, the smallest negative aspect is that the
shop that has it, and is holding it for me until I can pick it up early next
week is about a 3 hour drive south of me but I just DON"T care. :D :D :D

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Mine has over 350 rounds through it of various manufacturer without a failure of any kind.

PMC Bronze 55-grain fmj ammo (inexpensive) shot this 100 yard group. Sub-MOA accuracy!

The hand guard can be replaced with a Magpul or other brand mid-length carbine hand guard if you need to attach a light or fore grip to a rail. Ruger's retaining ring simply unscrews instead of being spring loaded and it's a very smart concept.

I found the rear sight much better than many other inexpensive (Magpul) back up rear sights. The aperture worked really well for me. I also find the pistol grip very comfortable and similar to the Magpul MOE grip.

If someone wants an impingement operated AR-15, I see no reason to recommend any other model but the Ruger AR-556. It's light and handy and terrific all around.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I finally got mine yesterday after driving 4 hours one way to the shop holding it
for me then came home again arriving worn out from sitting in the car that long.
Its impressive, I like the innovative way they took at Ruger at removing the
Delta Ring without needing a tool or a 3rd hand. Took it down thoroughly and
gave it a good initial cleaning, lots of dirty patches by the way, the proof loads
they tested it with must have had a version of old style Unique powder in them
to leave that much residue behind after a small number of firings. Put it back
together after doing a recommended light lubrication of the bolt, gas rings, etc.
and then put it away until today. Range Report coming soon.

I finally got to pop a few caps through it yesterday but with the factory irons
on it, the scope I picked out hasn't arrived yet, due tomorrow if UPS can be
believed, I had a dual problem not a fault of the gun but of circumstance.
I could see with the peep quite easily but due to the angle of the sun on my
front sights gave off significant glare I couldn't overcome, and the target
stand down at 100 yards sank hopelessly into shadow at the same time
due to the geometry of the range, I shot groups that weren't that shabby
but should vastly improve once I get the scope on it. One of my cousins
who was with me shot his S&W M&P MP15 MOE that already has a scope
and he had no trouble overcoming the glare/shadow issues. I'd post
target pictures if I could but like an idiot, I left home without my phone,
so next time I promise pictures but just for now the groups were hovering
around 1" give or take an 1/8th" at 100 with Federal Lake City 55gr FMJ.
I'm satisfied for sure so far.