How about a Mini-1 (Mini M-1 Garand)? (Mini-Johnson?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
And while I have lever actions and pump actions in .357 mag., an original tube fed Ruger semi auto in .44 mag, a Garand, and an SKS, (all legal under the new Ca. rules), my thought / wish / request was for a semi auto, stripper clip fed, box magazine, carbine in .223 (5.56 NATO).

Now all or any of the pieces I have will fill the home defense need just fine, (and maybe even get me through the Zombie Apocalypse :shock: (if anything will!)), I think there is or will be a market for my wish /suggestion as the Ca. rules tighten. :D
Anybody else think that's a do-able modification to say, a Mini-14? Call it the California model? After all, they call the heavy trigger in a Glock the 'New York' trigger, right?

Terry T

toysoldier

Hunter
I can't see why it wouldn't be doable. The Savage 99 and 110 were both offered in fixed-magazine and detachable versions.

Personally, I'm not sure what's so bad about stripper clips. They're less bulky than detachable magazines, cost a whole lot less, load quickly, and you never worry about hitting the mag release at the wrong time. When a semi-auto malfunctions, one of the first things to check out is a defective detachable mag. High-capacity magazines are good for burning up barrels and encouraging "spray and pray" shooting. As we have seen in several recent shootings by police, they keep shooting until that high-capacity magazine is empty, with unfortunate effect on bystanders.

DGW1949

Hunter
Terry T said:
And while I have lever actions and pump actions in .357 mag., an original tube fed Ruger semi auto in .44 mag, a Garand, and an SKS, (all legal under the new Ca. rules), my thought / wish / request was for a semi auto, stripper clip fed, box magazine, carbine in .223 (5.56 NATO).

Now all or any of the pieces I have will fill the home defense need just fine, (and maybe even get me through the Zombie Apocalypse :shock: (if anything will!)), I think there is or will be a market for my wish /suggestion as the Ca. rules tighten. :D
Anybody else think that's a do-able modification to say, a Mini-14? Call it the California model? After all, they call the heavy trigger in a Glock the 'New York' trigger, right?

Terry T

Since you're talking a (fixed) box magazine...yeah, that would be quite-doable so long as it's depth still allowed for the Mini's pivioting/latching trigger guard, and it was configured in a manner that fit into existing California law. Make it a part of the reciever casting maybe?
After the design perimeters were established, ammo capacity would depend on which caliber was choozen....but I'd guess that 8-10 rounds of .556 could be made to work rather easily....and I'd bet that if need be, at least 5 of either could be housed within a stock which didn't need a mag-cut at all.
M-16 stripper clips are abundant, and cheap. Far as that goes, a lot of the .556 I buy comes in strippers. The only trick would be for Ruger to design a guide for the clips which already exist.
I don't know whether an SKS clip would work for a Mini-30 or not, but still, a hand full of propiritory strippers would still have to be much-cheeper than a single (Ruger) Mag, eh?

All in all, I think that a stripper-fed Mini is a splended idea (even with a detachable mag)....but....

......What I think + a buck-fifty might buy ya a cup of coffee.

DGW

Corbi

Single-Sixer
JohnFLand said:
Add this guide (looks like it will be available early next year): http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/96512-any-interest-mini-14-stripper-guide.html

Pin a 10 rd mag in from inside the receiver (so that the receiver must be disassembled to remove the mag).

Should work for both Mini-14 and Mini-30.

My thinking too.

Corbi