How about a 3" GP100 44 Special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thel

Blackhawk
Count me in on the .44 Special. Don't think the GP as it is now has the dimensions for .45 Colt. Dave Clements ( http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html) claims his .44 conversion can handle a 250 gr slug at 1200 fps. Gary Reeder does a .41 mag conversion on the GP ( http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/skorpion.htm ) but is a bit more pricey than Clements. Be nice if Ruger configured the GP slightly larger (much as Taurus has it 5 shot .44 mags and such ) to take .45 Colt, .44 mag, 7 shot .357, etc.

chg

Bearcat
I emailed the CEO over a year ago about this very thing, a 5 shot .44 special on the GP100 frame. He replied back that it didn't have enough height in the frame to allow for a 5 shot chambering. i know what others are doing. You might give it a try and see if enough requests come across, he might change his mind.

Thel

Blackhawk
It could be (don't know) that the conversions done open the cylinder window to allow a larger dia. cylinder giving more meat on the outside of the cylinder. I would think that if the GP conversion by Clements will take a 250 grain bullet at 1200 fps there must be plenty of strength left in the frame.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
With their new manufacturing processes and procedures it wouldn't seem that hard to do. However, it sounds like it might be a matter of choosing between what would probably sell vs. what is already sold at Ruger right now.

Make mine a 4" please.

steve b

Single-Sixer
Somehow missed your above post Boge. An LCR .44spec ! WOW ! Yeah,dream BIG,er little ! steve b

BusMaster007X

Bearcat
bigbore45colt said:
David has a 3" 1/2 lug stainless GP100 of mine being converted to 44 special.
It's been over 2 years now, so I'm hoping I get it soon.
I agree, Dave, the GP100 3" should be a fine platform for the 44 special!

Gotta love those 696s though!

BB45C

Why would this take TWO YEARS...?!
:shock:

DDubya

Single-Sixer
I couldn't wait so I bought a Rossi Model 720 3" in .44 SPL.

P1000585Custom.jpg

rtl

Single-Sixer
You just found that Rossi? In that condition?
Man..I gotta keep on those auction sites a little better.

DDubya

Single-Sixer
Got it from Gunbroker.com last fall. They appear there from time to time. There was one last week at $425 which is about $100 more than mine.

black029

Single-Sixer
I have been observing on several Forums over the years the outcry for a medium frame .44 Special. 5 shot.
And, low and behold, S&W did that in several configurations in the late '90's and early Bush years.
And they didn't sell very well. True, some were disasters from the jump, like the 296, but other , more traditional steel-and -wood only did so-so.
Truth is, there is a small and vocal and dedicated core that loves this gun, but not enough for any major manufacturor to start up a production line. It is pretty much a reload project, they are a bit heavy and ....five shots.
Unless some distributor ponies up for X thousand. If they are made and delivered and don't sell, the MFG has it's money and the distributor is having fire sales.

5of7

Hunter
black029 said:
I have been observing on several Forums over the years the outcry for a medium frame .44 Special. 5 shot.
And, low and behold, S&W did that in several configurations in the late '90's and early Bush years.
And they didn't sell very well.

And the reason is that the typical gun buyer.....the guys who make up the bulk of new gun purchases, are not of the same mentality that guys like us who spend a lot of time on discussion forums batting ideas around.

They don't handload, as least for the most part, and they look at factory ballistics for a .44 Special and ask themselves why?

WE know the answer, but we are also in the minority. 8)

black029

Single-Sixer
You nailed it, 5 of 7.
When a GLOCK 30 with I think 12 rounds of .45 ACP in a package smaller than any medium frame revolver, or at least a lot lighter is available.............
If Ichose to carry a revolver for CCW or open cary, it would be the S&W 8 shot 627 " Bloodwork" gun. Which Ruger could approximate with a snubbie Redhawk.
Just don't saddle us with the fugly and ill fitting Hogues, which are suitable only for those who can palm a medecine ball.

Latest posts