Homemade shuck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
This was a 2 year project in the making. In the Fall of '09, I was graciously invited to 'sixshots' home for a cow elk hunt. There, I met the infamous 'callshot', and a cast of characters, too numerous to name. I also met 'middleshot', who obviously lives between sixshot and callshot. One of the first things I noticed about Bryce, besides being one of the nicest guys you could meet(Idaho is full of nice people) was his do-it-yourself mentality. The first night we met Bryce, he showed us a holster he made from scratch. We were all very impressed.

After our hunt and stay, Bryce presented me with cut out piece of leather for a 6.5" flattop Ruger BH. All I had to do was glue, stitch, and decorate to my hearts content.

A little while latter, I became friends with "Doc" Barranti, premier holster maker and hidestretcher. I would pick Mikes brain, and was supplied some tools, and books on leatherwork.

I finally took the plunge, and stamped the leather, glued it in place, and stitched it. I was anxious to stain it. Couldn't find any leather stain, so used some wood stain. I guess it will last. Anyway, it turned out all right. Not the best, but not bad for a first timer either.

When I first stamped the piece Of leather Bryce had given me, I screwed it up. So I used his piece to trace another piece of leather, and started over. I used a fich scale stamp pattern for my holster. Not as pretty as when Doc Barranti does it, but he has a whole lot more practice.

Bottom line, give it a try. My stocks are some of sixshots 'rough outs' that I fit, sanded, and finished. Along with casting my own bullets, and handloading my own rounds, I try to be as efficient as possible to make myself less reliable on others. May not be the best or prettiest, but it is strong, works, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I made it myself.

IMG_0222.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I recall one evening in the gun cellar where deep dark discussions on guns, grips, & holsters were the hot topic. And when a plain piece of leather was produced for a novice to delve into the mysteries of holster development.
I see the result of the voodoo has produced a fine gun-bucket for your use!
:D :D

callshot

Blackhawk
Very nice. I have a piece of leather that you could practice on if'n yo-yo want to. :wink: I will even supply the leather dye. I just yesterday finished another belt for me. My other ones I have all shrunk this winter. :oops: :oops: Peter Pan must be growing up. :shock: Moisha says Hello. Instructions for that gun bucket: Get out here and lets shoot something. Steve

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I like it! I'm gettin ready to try a Fish-scale version of one of my rigs too.... kinda cool.

Good job!

Latest posts