Holster suggestions for Ruger Alaskan .44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marshal Tom

Bearcat
A neighbor is looking for a good holster for his Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag. I was thinking of the Cyclone if it is made for that model. Also a SimplyRugged would be a good choice for him. Thoughts appreciated.

Tom

maxpress

Buckeye
cabelas has them for the alskan and the xframe smiths. hunter company puts them out. they are $59.99

ruger catalogs a chest holster

RMWHEELER

Bearcat
Tankhead - I just ordered the Mernickle holster for my 454 Alaskan. Go to their website and click on field carry. I ordered the one with the bear paw. First saw it on Gunblast in the archive file. This holster is worn crossdraw.

Tankhead

Bearcat
RMWHEELER":2xhyt2fc said:
Tankhead - I just ordered the Mernickle holster for my 454 Alaskan. Go to their website and click on field carry. I ordered the one with the bear paw. First saw it on Gunblast in the archive file. This holster is worn crossdraw.

Bear Paw one? I can't find the one you mean.

RMWHEELER

Bearcat
The model # FC13REF2 is in the Field Carry section which is accessed by clicking on the Field Carry icon on the left side of the Mernickle homepage. Chris at Mernickle told me that there was about a 5 week turnaround on my order.

brian dosdall

Bearcat
Go with "Simply Rugged"---Rob Leahy does a great job----I carry a 480 Alaskan all day/every day---hardly know it's there.

Tankhead

Bearcat
I was more lookin at this one.

I like the price for the quality of the belt and holster. But it looks to be carried more out in front of you and I need that space when I bow hunt. No reason a cross draw at the belt won't work.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
If you are not going to be setting back against anything I wold go with something that had a forward slant and set just behind the right hip. Most folks carry cross draw because a slung rifle will bang against a gun setting just behind the right hip. I wouldn't thing you would have that problem when bow hunting.