Holster for Ruger commander [4.25inch] ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostdog

Bearcat
Hello, I need a owb holster that is more of a High rise type to help hide it . Im 5' 7" ...... May be a little forward slant , Im right handed ... Thanks for any feel back and pictures would really help ....

Cholo

Staff member
I carry an all steel 1911 in a Simply Rugged Cuda. Many others on the Forum do, too. It's amazingly comfortable and at a fair price. It took about 3 weeks to get. Make sure you use a quality heavy duty belt!

http://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Cuda-Leather-Concealed-Carry-Holster.cfm?item_id=407&parent=669

Any other 1911 holster? I don't agree. There are too many worthwhile options and features, that may or may not suit any given person. Sure. You could carry a Commander-size in a full length holster, but then lose the shorter length advantage of the Commander-size.

The sky is the limit on 1911 holsters, so that's why 1911 owners have an assortment. Always looking for the most perfect compromise. A Galco Fletch, or any of the the makers making the same holster is a pretty good choice for me. High riding. Close fitting. No extra "wasted" holster hanging past the slide. And retention. Also always important to me.

Then to consider a more high-tech option...I've found the Blackhawk! Serpa to be my go to holster. Height of carry is adjustable. Cant is adjustable. Belt loop size is adjustable. Very rigid. The downside is it's a bit offset from your waste. A compromise I'm comfortable with.

My short list is not all-inclusive. There are many very high quality options, from so many manufacturers.

As already said, none of these holsters will work as designed, unless they are carried with a quality, no-stretch belt, that fills the belt slot.

As you can see, the Serpa pictured is for a full length 1911, and therefore hangs an inch farther down your leg. The same holster is made for the Commander-length 1911.

Here's the shorter version Serpa for the Commander-length 1911...

And a holster I've misplaced since soon after I bought it, (I finally found it :mrgreen:), this holster is one of the finest I've ever owned. Made by Chuck 100 yd from this forum. Not necessarily a high-ride holster, but seems to work out as concealable as any other Commander-size holster I've ever used...

WAYNO.

DGW1949

Hunter
lostdog said:
Hello, I need a owb holster that is more of a High rise type to help hide it . Im 5' 7" ...... May be a little forward slant , Im right handed ... Thanks for any feel back and pictures would really help ....

A Bianchi 19L works for me...and yep, it's got the features you asked about.
Sorry, but I'm too dumb to post pictures.

DGW

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Galco Concealable......

IMG_1449_zpse2b6ac25.jpg

But IWB 'hides' better. Milt Sparks VM II.....

IMG_4151_zps70a6f606.jpg

bentblade

Single-Sixer
http://davisleathercompany.com/

I use both of these models for Glock's , Sig's, and 1911's and I am happy with them all.

http://davisleathercompany.com/conceale ... 3-liberty/

http://davisleathercompany.com/conceale ... -security/

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have 2 holsters for mine a Galco pancake and the one I really like and use the most is a Kirk Partrick Texas Cross Draw.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Bianchi lever lock ballistic nylon holster gets lots of use lately, I like the retention system and how adjustable for belt position it is
FOr in the truck and Jeep I have been using my El Paso Saddlery tanker as it hangs from the headrest or fits into the door pocket securely and then if I want to ear it, just put it around your neck and shoulder and off you go, very secure

jollyman

Bearcat
For me, Wayno has a point. I like my holsters made to fit the gun I am carrying. No extra. I got a Mitch Rosen PRES for my Defender and LOVE it. I have a Galco Royal Guard for my Commander length Ruger. Point is , a lot of options out there, KNOWING what you like as an individual can get quite costly, which is the reason many of us have a closet full of holsters.